Thread: Orismer in the elder scrolls

Orismer in the elder scrolls

How do people see Orcs in modern times? Excluding pre-Morrowind, have the people of Tamriel ever actually thought of them as Elves? Do people (other than the scholars and what-not that have said so) even actually know that they're Elves? Do most Orcs even know? Orcs seem to be completely different to the other Elven races, which all seem to have a more discreet approach to things, through either magic or stealth, or "Civilised" melee, if you know what I mean. They don't ever seem to be as Brutal as the Orcs. Orcs remind me of Men, more than Mer, and I'm sure many residents of Tamriel pick up on the same thing.

Re: Orismer in the elder scrolls

Are Orcs in general pro-Empire? I'm sure they know of the old anti-Orc Empire, but with the new ways, it doesn't seem to hate on them. Are they fine with the Empire approaching on territory? That's the vibe I got through Morrowind, but I don't see anyone being quite so happy about the Empire in thier homelands. Also, "the majority royally citizens regard the Orc society as irregular and cruel". During character creation, I can't help but notice the line "but there is much to admire in their fierce tribal loyalties and generous equality of rank and respect among the sexes." Does this imply that sexism is throughout Tamriel?

Orcs have always been seen as a 'beast' race, and probably still are. I'm sure that more scholarly inclined people know the truth, but the average farmer probably doesn't. It probably doesn't matter that much anyways, since it’s so long removed. Plenty of Orcs serve in the Legion, and the Septim Empire granted those unprecedented rights, freedoms, and powers, so I think they are generally in favor of it. The Imperials are also one of the few races who don’t have a lot of hate towards them. Not sure how they are towards the Mede Empire - it seems that they were gaining independence and spreading out towards the end of Oblivion, I would suspect that they would not be eager to give up newfound independence.

It’s not as sexist as Victorian society, but I'm sure that there are some restrictions to what men/women can do. Some sort of sexism will always exist, though Tamriel appears to have significantly less than historical Earth. The Orcs probably place no emphasis on gender at all. Oblivion, and to a lesser extent Morrowind and Daggerfall, do seem to portray societies where some traditional male and female roles are still to be seen, which does involve some measure of sexism... Tamriel as portrayed is better than our world is when it comes to gender, particularly in the earlier games where women in positions we would consider to some extent unusual were often treated as if their presence was rather unremarkable.

Look at the list of rulers of the Septim Dynasty, for instance, where the gender balance at least seems to imply male-preference primogeniture. There are a lot of good things to say about how the Elder Scrolls deals with this subject, and it's one of the reasons I love the series so much, but even here the in-universe sexism isn't completely gone. So, certainly, there is a bit of room for the Orsimer to improve things there by which point it would be outright "equality of rank and respect" in all regards, or something very close to that.

It seems that, at least since the time of Gortwog, Orcs do know their history as Mer. Many of them don't accept that history as true and brand the ones who do as heretics against Malacath, but they are aware of it. Do we have any info on the post-Oblivion Orc state? It seems that they would ally with Skyrim as it's the cultural successor to the Empire. With Skyrim's accepting Dunmer refugees this could be a major shift in the balance of power.

Nords have a deep roote hatred of Elves and when they came from Atmora, their true ancestral homeland, they battled everyone and everything including Orcs. Orcs and Bretons have had the most hostilities. Orcs however as a people don't like or trust other races as much. As for the Nord-Orc attacks on Morrowind, when the Nords sided with Dagoth-Ur at the Battle for Red Mountain, it was stated that they brought Orcs as mercenaries as well, either brought by Nords or the Sixth House I forget.