Thread: The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim is Action Game, not RPG

The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim is Action Game, not RPG

I have played TES games since Arena. The series has obviously taken a turn since then. There are many things that Beth has improved on and numerous things that they have changed in order to evolve this series from an RPG to an action game. With the changes to Skyrim being what they are, it's hard to disguise that this series has now evolved from an RPG series to an action series. I'm not putting Beth down; they are doing what they need to in order to make money. What I get frustrated with are folks trying to fit Skyrim into an RPG box.

Re: The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim is Action Game, not RPG

Can you explain how it makes it an action game instead of an RPG? You never got to that point, just saying over and over how Bethesda is turning the other way. Also guys, this discussion interests me so no flame and flame bait like the OP is suggesting, I assume. Please, I don't want to see this get locked. It seems everyone's definition of the genre is changing, the fact of the matter is, just because you're particular definition of RPG doesn't include Skyrim, doesn't mean it's not.

I understand your point but I heartily disagree, While it's true that TES has become a lot more action oriented, There is still a lot of depth in the lore that all add to the foundation of the game world, and there is at a standstill a lot of Role playing to be had, people can still create characters, evolve them, attach back stories and specialize them. I would say it’s fairer to call it an Action RPG, a hybrid of the two.

Skyrim is 100 xs the RPG Arena could only hope to be. In comparison to Daggerfall-Oblivion, I see nothing to make it less of an RPG, either. There are factions, there are the skills, there are the customizable gear combinations and upgraded armor/weapons, and there are books and lore (How did you ever come up with the conclusion of no lore. Oblivion had more lore than Arena or Daggerfall and Skyrim certainly is having some lore of its own.), the specialization should be greater than ever with the limited perks per character, we have got options to do mundane tasks and even take up the role of a blacksmith (I have all the time wanted to do that)

You can play as whoever the hell you want. Good, bad, in the middle, male, female, human, lizard, kitty cat, elf, even an orc. You get to chose what you do and when you do it. There is action in it, but that doesn't mean it isn't as well and RPG. Tell me what your definition of RPG is (and not rocket propelled grenade). Todd keeps calling it "the biggest, craziest RPG we can make". I trust Todd. He’s in charge of the game and knows more about the whole of the game than anyone else.

There is simply no concrete definition for what constitutes an RPG. And even if there was hardly anyone would be willing to follow it, since different people are inclined to attach their own personal feelings into the matter. I one time met a person who was adamant about the fact that no computer game calling itself an RPG could be defined as such, because aside from letting you build a character however you liked, you were still forced down certain paths in order for the story to progress. This lack of total freedom, in his mind, undermined the concept of the genre.

You can't strictly divide games into set classifications like action or RPG. Skyrim, as well as other games, can all easily be both. In order for an action game to succeed, there needs to be an element of RP that connects the player to what's happening in game, and likewise with RPG's, they all require a bit of action in them to keep them worth playing. You shouldn't just come out with a statement that Skyrim is no longer an RPG game just because to you it may look more like an action game- there are still RPG elements, and as long as people use it for RP purposes, it'll continue to be an RP game, though it obviously, is an action game as well.