Thread: Where is the Exploration and Immersion in The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

Where is the Exploration and Immersion in The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

The only problem I had with Oblivion was lack of immersion that was present in Morrowind. I think this had to do with the lack of complexity of quests given and the compass/map system. Which of these two scenarios would you rather? You are out searching for the cave in which the quest givers daughter is trapped inside guarded by goblins. While following his instructions to get to the cave you end up veering a little off the way when a pack of wolves ambush you from out of nowhere! After you recover you notice a well traveled path heading into a valley. You decide to follow it not knowing what is around the corner. Anyone have any more idea on this?

re: Where is the Exploration and Immersion in The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

You are given a quest from a quest giver. He tells you that his daughter is trapped by goblins in a cave. You leave his house and head out to search for the cave. You follow the compass and your map and head to the exact location of the cave. On the way there you are alerted to the presence of hostile NPC's by your compass and you charge in and slaughter a pack of wolves. After killing them you notice the compass shows the icon for dwarves ruins and you decide to go explore those first. You follow the compass and see the dwarves ruins you expect, go in and retrieve a new sword and magical boots. You leave the ruins and continue to the cave with the trapped girl.

Now that there's a spell which shows you a path to where your goal is, it'd be nicer if the compass was a little less exact, and just showed you the main direction you should take. Or made the compass optionable. But I at a standstill want it present; I don't want to keep switching computers to look up a guide on where I'm supposed to go next. My PC doesn't have internet. But now we have both the spell and the compass, and it seems a bit like overkill to me.

Truth is told it was a nice idea, but it took away from the sense of Exploration, if you know that there are enemies over the next hill then you can simply go into sneak mode and go round them, or sit on top of the hill and blast their brains out their nose with a sniper rifle. If they had been there waiting in ambush and I could not sense them, it would have made for a more intense battle, instead of simply sneaking round a giving them all a new hole to breath out of one by one. Ok, it was entertaining to know that you were always one step ahead, but it also kind of made it too easy.

Sad to inform you that we got markers for enemies it seems in Skyrim. Check the part where Dovahkiin strikes at the mammoth and look at the compass before & after. Although it just looks they are just present once you attack / or is attacked, and that they're only present in close distance. This can be shown when Dovahkiin makes the storm shout. The red spot of the enemy (dragon) is present on the compass only when the dragon is above Dovahkiin.

I would select situation one if I could, although I should preface this by saying situation one could happen in Oblivion, assuming the gamer was not using the compass (I cover my game compass with electrical tape on the TV screen) or pulling up the map every 30 seconds. I and others here have already said this a zillion times, but all Bethesda needs to do is allow us to turn the compass/quest marker system OFF. This would please both camps.

Re: Where is the Exploration and Immersion in The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

I think the vast majority of semi intelligent adults would agree with the OP. Problem is the majority of people are not semi intelligent adults. Bethesda is a business and a business needs to make as much profit as possible. If that means dumbing down a game so that it can reach a larger audience then so is it. Thankfully I play on the PC and will wait until the mods that fix these issues are out before I play.