Thread: Were the dragons scripted in The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

Were the dragons scripted in The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

Speaking of not Minecraft allied, I got to notice the Skyrim demo and it’s freaking incredible. While the dragons in the demo were apparently scripted (he knew accurately where they would land and such), they claim they are completely dynamic and unscripted in the whole game. Anyone have any idea on this? Please provide me some hints or I can say just share your information, so that I understand this correctly.

Re: Were the dragons scripted in The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

I believe he said this in a machine interview, and at one point when they were demoing a game, a viewer said after picking up the giant and biting the guard, the dragon left. They could easily have used console commands and just spawned some near where they were playing, I don’t think they expected the second one because the PC seems to be kind of lost and in panic "especially at half health", so maybe they spawned multiple outside an area "so they have better odds of at least one making it to the PC" and just let their AI wonder around.

No, it was not scripted. He repeatedly said so. And Todd did not know where the dragon would land; the dragon knew where Todd was. Todd also said that in his first recording of the demo, the dragon just flew away. When people say that the appearance of the dragons was scripted, they are referring to an unrelated statement from Todd where he said that in some instances, for plot reasons, they script the appearance of a dragon. Otherwise they are unscripted creatures.

By that I mean the second dragon seemed triggered to arrive when the first one died. The POV kept hinting towards the top of the tower, which is where the ice dragon landed a second or two later. I believe that that's the extent of the scripting - I don't think any of the behavior was, per se. The dragons in Skyrim will have characteristics and behaviors that can no doubt be triggered at various points (there is bound to be some points where scripting takes place as part of a quest or something, like a set piece), however the average dragon encounter I would expect to be completely unscripted.

I also suspect that the dragon picking up the giant was scripted. However, THAT DOESN'T MATTER! this was a demo showcase. As long as the dragons CAN do all this stuff themselves of their own accord in the game proper then that's fine. I am guessing the dragon sitting up on the ark at bleak falls barrow will be a scripted instance because you can actually see it perched there at the beginning of the demo. so they knew that they would run into that one and it would track them to the exit. I am guessing the ice one coming in was a bonus for the demo recording and they OK'd it for the demo showing.

I think Notch is confusing "scripted" with "staging". Scripted would mean they follow a pre-set path and a pre-set amount of options of how to behave. Every single time you played the game the same dragon would appear in the similar place and behave exactly in the same manner. Staging means the only scripting uses was ensure a dragon spawned as the appropriate place within the level. It would be mighty embarrassing to show a demo and a dragon not appears while you were trying to show off dragon gameplay.