Thread: Randall Dean Clark character in Fallout: New Vegas DLC

Randall Dean Clark character in Fallout: New Vegas DLC

I have yet to acquire Honest Hearts, but from what I have seen on Honest Hearts there is slight state of Randall Dean Clark, The Survivalist. I think that he is one of Bethesda Obsidian's most urbanized and meaningful characters. I have as well written a fan-fic. What are your opinions on this man? His family? His interactions with the Sorrows? Anyone have any idea or any information on this than share with me.

Re: Randall Dean Clark character in Fallout: New Vegas DLC

Except it was Obsidian who wrote him. He's tied for my favorite character, his story, hurt me and scarred me; I am attached to his story in a sense. You were closer the first time; at least Bethesda is a game studio and not a game. I just messed up on that name a few times. I think that we know so much about this guy's life. It would have been really neat to see him as a ghoul. But then again, he might be better left in legend amongst the Sorrows.

It says he thinks its cancer. He even goes on to say yup started coughing blood finally. Not to mention he is over 60 years old. And lungs get so bad he can hardly breathe. He goes to top of red gate so sorrows can’t find his body. So he remains a vigilant god watching over them. Not some crazy cave dweller corpse for them to find. His final entry is in the bag with his survivor rifle. For those thinking he shot himself in the head.

I just finished that part. There's no evidence he shot himself. You are just jumping to that conclusion because in his notes he keeps talking about it. But the last note, found in the back next to his body along with his gun, says he's sick and dying and is just going to die from the cold on top of the mountain. So that's what we are meant to believe is the end of his story. He thinks its cancer, but he as well isn't very educated formally. He's clever, a damn good marine, and a good man at heart, but he's no doctor.

The Coughers are gone finally. All 34 that still lived. Ate their dead for strength, and then struck out SE. Victory. 10 months of killing. All I feel is cold. They deserved every bit of it. Mind's still sharp. Lungs are the problem. Might be cancer. Cough's been getting worse for months, finally there's blood in it. Getting harder to visit my little friends, breath's so short. I have given away most of what I own. They'll find the rest in caves when they get a little older. I don't want them to find me, though. "The Father" is a broken-down old man?

Yes, definitely a fantastically written character. As a short story, this is really prime video game literature here. Moving, visceral, and engaging, the Survivalist's story made me feel more connected to his character than anyone else in the game. He manages to be the best character, perhaps in fallout history, without even appearing in the flesh. Even his gun has character. This is a weapon that served Clark in battle before and after the war, and it has all the scars of battle one would expect. The sights are even canted from when he modified it to fire 12.7mm ammo.

It's more than that though. There are other firsthand accounts of the Great War from Fallout, but the survivalist has a certain feel about his entries, there's a candidness you don't get from any other account. I mean you have the no-nonsense militaristic survivalist aspect of it, and also the tortured soul of Clark himself, and how he struggles with his past and his feelings and the loss of his family, how he deals with the loss and despair he finds again in the new world, and how he finally finds purpose and can die in peace.

I think if they made fallout prequel a recreation of Clark’s life. Survival till old age death etc. id buy it in a heartbeat. The trying to survive at the beginning of the end was the hardest part of fallout. And I am sad they didn’t use that time for a game. The stuck in a cave finding scraps to live off of for 4 months. Then emerging into the harsh leftovers. one rifle and some ammo from your hunting trip. Only the clothes on your back. You begin the march to where you lived hoping to find something’s at a standstill intact. Finding food you can eat and water to drink along the way.