Thread: OWB Energy Weapon Perk for Fallout: New Vegas DLC

OWB Energy Weapon Perk for Fallout: New Vegas DLC

Since Old World Blues is most likely going to be an Energy Weapons based DLC I was thinking of a Cowboy and Grunt equivalent perk for Energy Weapons. I'm a Guns guy but I can understand the frustration you EW guys feel. I am thinking 3-5 new EW's and a new ammo type. The picture is a man in T-51b power armor holding a Laser Rifle above his head in one hand with a Ripper in his other by his side, with his foot on the chest of a dead Legionnaire or Tribal holding a spear. What do you guys think of the idea?

Re: OWB Energy Weapon Perk for Fallout: New Vegas DLC

Well we already have laser commander which boosts 15% damage and have plus 10% chance to critically hit with all laser weapons. I would like to see a perk that boosts plasma weapons though because at this point I can't see the point in using them over laser weapons. I even feel like even with that perk the two are pretty balanced. It only affects a few guns too. Most of the ones listed haven't been boosted other than with AP usage. I think it would be balanced still.

They've already got Laser Commander and two ranks of Set Lasers for Fun. Other than bigger and badder pew-pew party poppers all I expect is the most statistically indomitable power armor you can create while staying within the limits of reality. I would like to see a better plasma perk, Plasma spaz is pretty underwhelming, especially when compared to laser commander. Might give me a reason to use them. As is I use Laser Weapons, and the only Plasma Weapon I use is the Q-35 Matter Modulator, and even then it’s rare I use it.

A perk gives knock-back effect for gauss rifles would be fine. Guns have two very nice perk: cowboy and grunt they gain %25 dmg boost to almost any weapon. So I believe plasma weapons need something equivalent to laser commander. Something similar to Raul's "maintained" perk but only for EW also sounds fine. Guass weaponry now has a 'knock-down' effect on critical hits. This perk effects the Guass Rifle, YCS/186, and Guass Pistol (obvious wishful-thinking is obvious)

Honestly, I am happy with energy weapons as they are now. I think the holo-rifle is dim; it's like an inferior version of the Gauss rifle. If there was another energy weapons related perk, maybe something like: Energy Optimization: Energy Weapons 90 Science 90 Level 20. You have learned to customize your energy weapons to last against the best punishment. Weapon decay penalties from using overcharged and maxed charged cells are negated.

While there are some perks that boost EW's usefulness they need more improvement. Guns already has stuff like 'enemy knock back', EW's just need an all around boost like Cowboy does. We got them with Guns, now I think the EW guys deserve one too. It doesn't need to affect the Holorifle, considering it's already really strong, just like Grunt didn't affect the Automatic Rifle because it's already really strong. Grunt brought up the low tier Guns which was really necessary.

Energy weapons are already the most powerful weapons in the game. If you want to make them more powerful, just use max-charged cells. Have we seen what a tri-beam laser rifle or a Gatling laser can do with max charged cells AND laser commander? Have we tried using plasma weapons with math wrath+plasma spaz+action boy 1+2+commando+sniper+better Criticals? Gauss Rifles and Tesla cannons are already one-shot kill weapons.