Thread: Who is Morihaus in The Elder Scrolls?

Who is Morihaus in The Elder Scrolls?

I've read all 8 parts to the "Song of Pelinal", but cannot fully understand the role of Morihaus. I might be missing some other lore, which might be attributed to this thread, but I know this place to be a good source for lore answers. So, the questions are: Who is Morihaus? Son of, Father of, etc. AND what is Morihaus? - The "Song of Pelinal" describes him as a bull, but I would think that this description is somewhat archaic/ vague. Is he perhaps a Minotaur of some kind?

Re: Who is Morihaus in The Elder Scrolls?

Morihaus is the half-god winged bull son of Kynareth who helped the men tribes of ancient Cyrodiil during the rebellion against the Ayleids. He acts as the companion to Pelinal Whitestrake and lover to the first empress of Cyrodiil, Alessia. Their offspring is the second emperor of Cyrodiil, Belharza the Man-Bull. He's the provider of the enchanted cuirass Lord's Mail, which is said by MK to be his metallic rawhide. The statue of his man-form is in the Arena District of the Imperial City.

Morihaus is fun. We once had a several-page discussion on his relationship to allesia and the mechanics of the whole matter. Being that he's the son of Kynareth (is he by Shor or someone else or some christ-figure virgin birth?) The wings make sense. He's one of the liberators of men. An anthropomorphic bull, or rather a man with a bull mask stretches disbelieve less than an actual talking Bull with angel wings. These latter is also less known then the Bull of Minos, I can't recall any game that featured the Assyrian version of the winged bull.

This is interesting, but I don't totally agree with Shor being the male analog to "Mother Earth." Isn't usually the god of the underworld a different role in RW cultures, like being the ruler and caretaker of the departed rather than a nurturing provider? Also, I still believe Mara continues to take that role. Though not Nordic, the Water-Getting Girl does refer to the mothers of the Around-Us. She could be the concubine who just keeps on birthing.

Not always. Besides, an earth god doesn't have to be a nurturing provider. Take, for instance, the Olympian gods. Zeus set himself up as the patron diety, sharing dominion with his two brothers, Poseidon and Hades. Zeus took the sky and gave the ocean and earth to Poseidon and Hades respectively. This also made Hades the god of earthly wealth, since precious gems and metals are found within the earth.

The idea of a nurturing provider diety whose spheres of influence include the earth is more of a female concept, than a male. If the earth god of a particular pantheon is, in fact, male, then the nurturing aspect is not included, usually. There are other gods and goddesses that take this into account. Such as a goddess of hearth and home, like Hestia. Or a goddess of agriculture and nature, like Persephone or her mother. After all, the earth must be worked in order for it to provide for man. Earth-mothers nurture. Earth-fathers provide for those who are willing to work for it.

Since he was Ada, I would assume that as well. Much like Pelinal, his true form was probably more akin to a vague shape or color than an actual corporeal being. I do believe MK stated bluntly that "He's a bull, with wings." So maybe that was his chosen form. But as he also had armor and a statue of him portrays him as a nordic looking man, he was possibly a shape shifter. Which should be well within the powers of Ada? That actually came up in discussion before, and I believe they said that he could in fact change shapes. However, MK also stated in that same thread that he was in his bull form when he and Alessia.