Thread: Talos Reincarnation in the Elder Scrolls

Talos Reincarnation in the Elder Scrolls

While being busy with school and everything, and idea occurred to me when someone said something about a Prophet. Because the KOTN Prophet presents you with the blessing of Talos, [This is farfetched but just listen] could the prophet be an avatar of Talos himself? Or is He just some holy doomsayer? I'm not sure where I heard this but I think the prophet is actually an avatar of a previous prophet. I think I've heard him mentioned as Maruhk maybe. IIRC. Just an opinion.

Re: Talos Reincarnation in the Elder Scrolls

I did a few searches at TIL and couldn't find any supporting evidence. Or any information on where he comes from. Are there any rumors on where he came from? I know he disappears after one of the quests in KOTN never to be seen again. The idea that the prophet of KOTN would be an incarnation of Maruhk is rather silly, if you ask me. Maruhk, the monkey prophet who told Old Cyrod the truth about the world on one hand, and the prophet of I-Need-A-Knight-To-Wear-These-Shiny-Boots, complete with old man imagery and a 'Blessing of Talos' on the other.

I always assumed he was Talos. After all, he gives you Talos's blessing, and disappears after the whole thing is through, as if he never existed. Also, he resembles (in as much as the two graphic engines will allow) Wulf from Morrowind. Aging imperial with white hair. You know Kind of' mysterious guy, but gives you Talos's blessing/the emperor's lucky coin as if he spoke for the god himself. I always assumed that's the conclusion we're supposed to draw from the prophet. The same conclusion we drew about Wulf.

I'm confused again about the relationship between Talos and Shezzar. Someone refresh me. I wanna say they're actually two parts of the same being or something. If that's the case, it's odd that you speak to the Spirit of Pelinal and also a prophet which may be an avatar of the power behind Pelinal - although you never see the two at the same place/time, and Pelinal has a helmet on. Talos filled the empty spot in the roster that was left by Shezarr when he had gone missing. They are same 'thing' because Tiber Septim mantled Lorkhan by having his avatar, Ysmir act as his double. Thus creating the image that Ysmir was Tiber Septim. Because this is a world of myth, appearance is all that matters, Tiber Septim mantled him.

The slightly more complex version holds that when Tiber Septim ripped out Ysmir or Arctus heart he reenacted part of the struggle between the Light and the Dark where one defeats the other. The double King ship of Tiber and Ysmir shouldn't be confused with the relation between Lorkhan and Akatosh. Two persons acting as one, isn't quite the same as the left and right hand of somebody. Although when applying the Rebel and King principle it possible to put Tiber and Ysmir as exactly that.

When a Rebel and a King sit on the wheel of fortune and the Rebel rises until he reaches the top and becomes the King and a new Rebel rises from the bottom of the wheel to depose him. Ysmir did most of the brunt work, marching from Colovia onto the magical Niben as Lorkhan marched from the chaos onto the Old Ehlnofey. When finally there, Tiber was crowned King. As such the couple of Ysmir-Tiber as Rebel-King somebody has same duality as Akatosh-Lorkhan.

However, personally, I believe the reason that Talos wasn't broadly worshipped until after Daggerfall is that some of this essense still existed in either the new Underking (Zurin Arctus. Read the Arcturan Heresy), the mantella, or both. It wasn't until the warp in the west, and the subsequent liberation of Zurin's spirit and the destruction of the mantella, that this power was allowed to rejoin its source, which lay within Tiber Septim, allowing for the ascension of Talos as a true god.