Thread: The elder scrolls: Martin Septim

The elder scrolls: Martin Septim

Martin Septima's stragic death for the sake of a victory over Mehrunes Dagon put me in a mourning. The true Emperor, able to lead Empire to the Golden Age has disappeared on fire of daedric evil. As it would not be desirable to trust in it, but the reality has appeared more terribly. And only chancellor Okato alone sit enthroned in a hall of the Elder Council... The last of his name, born under the rose, Martin could be the greatest of governors. The Life proceeds, gapers are surprised to height of a statue of a dragon, and only in your heart a pain and hatred to world laws in which to gain a great victory it is necessary to bring a great victim. To my mind Martin is the greatest Emperor of Tamriel. What is your point of view?

Re: The elder scrolls: Martin Septim

You must realize that Martin was raised as a commoner and not as a prince. Therefore I doubt he really knew how to rule the Empire. I think he lacked the knowledge to do so. Furthermore, Martin struck md as a really nice and noble person. While these maybe good traits for a priest to have, for a king or emperor, being to nice is sometimes not an option. An emperor sometimes has to make tough decisions. Sometimes even has to decide things that go against morality. I think that Martin was just to nice to have been able to go against his own conscience.

I don't understand you completely, but I think you mean that the things that make Martin suited for being emperor is his charisma and his personality. I don't agree with you about this. Martin struck me as being to nice and to gullible. If massacring an entire city is what it takes to keep the peace, could he have ordered it's destruction? It is true that Martin inspired the soldiers fighting under his command at the battle for Bruma. But I think that had more to do with the fact that he was the last hope for the Empire then with his charisma.

The qualities of sainthood and kingship do not often meet in one man. A good emperor is not one who is willing to sacrifice himself for his people but one who is willing to be ruthless for them. Otherwise his reign will be short and his martyrdom the talk of the empire for, maybe, a year. Martin could defeat Mehrunes Dagon by mantling Akatosh. But the more commonplace enemies of an emperor are unimpressed with spiritual power and cannot be controlled through it. If he wants to keep, say, Helseth under his thumb, he'd better do so with crooked trade agreements and carefully declined dinner invitations.

I can't say I agree, though, and perhaps this is because I can't help but cringe on seeing Yet Another Christ Figure. But as for his skills, I don't think it would make much of a difference how skilled he is or was. As the head of an empire that stretches across an entire continent facing few immediate external threats supposing the Daedra are defeated and little internal unrest, I'd be surprised if he screwed it up. Mostly he'd rely on the people beneath him. Especially since the provinces seem to have an autonomy Tibetans can only dream of. Only time would tell how Martin would have handled his authority and provided for his subjects. The initial period of rebuilding and recovery would give little opportunities to for an emperor to display his leadership.

But many for others, I suppose. There is no better time for idealists, populists and opportunists than during and after great periods of loss and suffering. They'd have religious leaders and warlords rising in power all over Tamriell. Especially in the vacancy of the Imperial Legions, if they are pulled back. I don't think there is enough Imperial Influence in various provinces to keep their leaders in order without military force. Unless the would-be-Emperor moves there himself, who I highly doubt Martin would have. Too much symbolism involved.