Thread: What is landfall in the Elder Scrolls?

What is landfall in the Elder Scrolls?

This "Landfall" is mentioned in the letter and apparently drives people under ground and is some sort of apocalypse. Really, the whole letter confuses me. If anyone could give a somewhat boiled down description of what it means, I'd be grateful. I understand it talks about Landfall and how to avoid it, but I don't understand the rest, or even how we are to avoid Landfall. So please give me Idea regarding the same.

Re: What is landfall in the Elder Scrolls?

I still wonder whether this was meant as "prevent the Landfall" or, alternatively, "survive the predestined Landfall. I don't think Vivec is petty enough to be saying whether to like the game or not more likely he's either warning the Dunmer how to prevent the Landfall or warning them how to survive it, if it's inevitable. I get the impression that miners were among the few survivors of Vvardenfell, and then enlarged the network of tunnels over the succeeding generations.

All signs point to inevitability. As MK has stated when the question of landfall comes up, "None shall survive". But it's not a life and death kind of survive, it's a changed or unchanged kind of survive. So technically even if you reach the final sub gradient and avoid landfall you will still change yourself in the process, and that is the only way to avoid it. If it were impossible to change the future, the letter would be rather pointless. Its tagline was "know love to avoid the Landfall", not to forestall it.

Well actually time doesn't run as blandly as that in the TES world; the fabric of Time and Space may be bent and broken at any moment, such as with Time Traveland Dragon Breaks (example; The Warp in the West, though these require certain metaphysical changes to occur in Mundus e.g. the addition of a Tower, the Removal of a Tower. It refers to the time when Bethesda will drop its Elder Scrolls series to instead adopt a franchise about people living in vaults after an apocalypse... There'd be "Fall" in the title, but I think that land is out, though.

Well, a Dragon Break could be created at the time just before Landfall based on someone reading the letter then going about creating a DB, then when Landfall occurs inside of the Dragon Break only one timeline is affected the god who emerges stops the colision in atleast one timeline. Though, I wouldn't be so sure on how the timelines would merge together after the DB, one where Nirn is destroyed, and another where it isn't. Oh, and also before I forget, in Oblivion there is an event where the past changes by using an Elderscroll.