Thread: The elder Scrolls: Weapons in Amber armour

The elder Scrolls: Weapons in Amber armour

I will say hi to the lore buffs here in this part of the forums - I've seen the threads many times, but never ever replied as I've more to read and less to contribute. I am looking into a mod that may possibly add amber/madness weapons to the NPCs in Cyrodiil - at first blush, this seems lore-unfriendly to me. But someone countered by indicating the presence of daedric weapons/armor in Cyrodiil as well. As I have never played Shivering Isles even though I've had it for many years now, so can't really tell so I come to you gurus. Would this be lore-friendly to have Amber

Re: The elder Scrolls: Weapons in Amber armour

Daedric armor is Ebony infused with Daedric souls, so while rare, its possible to manufacture it in Tamriel. Madness and Amber armor, on the other hand, are crafted from ingredients found solely in the Shivering Isles, and hence can only be created there. I suppose a set could have been brought over to Cyrodiil from SI sometime in the past, however. In other words, its very unlikely, but theoretically possible.

I think "Daedric" armor is made in the Deadlands, as not only is it geologically similar to Red Mountain, thus suitable for the formation of ebony-like substances, but it's clearly in the style of the Dremora, in both Morrowind and Oblivion. Madness Armor, given it's made in the Shivering Isles out of local materials, could be considered the equivalent of Daedric and Dremora Armor as like its Deadland counterpart, it comes in a wide variety of qualities. Even if it isn't actually made of the same substance.

You are assuming that mortals have a limited understanding and thus concluding that they must be wrong. This is not a very productive stance as you won't be able to argue anything at all. You can get allot more done, if you invest in some nuance and assume sources to be correct until shown otherwise. That's just what the mortals, with their limited understanding of geology, say to explain the rare glassy substances that they otherwise couldn't explain. Whatever Daedric is made of, it's very similar to ebony and comes from a place with geology similar to the interior of Red Mountain.

I doubt just any kind of tree sap can form amber strong enough to be made into armor. My guess is that the amber used in weapons and armor in Shivering Isles can only form there, and therefore amber armor and weapons could only be made using local materials. So I would say that neither madness nor amber armor could be made in Tamriel, but I certainly see no reason why, if people who had been in the Shivering Isles went to Cyrodiil, they could not bring the armor and weapons there back with them. So your best bet if you want to add it is have someone who visited the Shivering Isles, then came back wearing it, it certainly wouldn't be something you should find on just any bandit, of course, many of the items in the game that you can find on bandits really shouldn't be something just any bandit would have.

To be fair, the the in-game dialog and books that relate the Elder Scrolls lore to players have been wrong in the past. Still, in the world of fiction, there's a good chance that if something you have been told has not been contradicted by another source, then it's true within the context of the setting. Of course, it may be that something we're told turns out to be wrong at a later time, but if we're not given a reason to believe otherwise and the information comes from what seems like a credible in-universe source, it's likely best to just assume it's true, and I haven't heard anything to suggest that ebony and Daedric armor are anything other than what we're told they are.