Thread: How is the nature of Aludin in Elder Scrolls

How is the nature of Aludin in Elder Scrolls

I hope Bethesda Makes Alduin impressive or at least imposing enough to inspire awe. To be honest the appearance of Umaril, sheogorath and Jyglagg did not do justice to their status as Daedric Princes. Mehrunes Dagon was excellent as was Martin when he turned to Akatosh. Now I am not saying every endgame boss has to be sixty feet tall, but they do need to inspire fear and awe equivalent to their reputation. I hope they do something with Alduin to make meeting him at the end og the game which will worth something.

Re: How is the nature of Aludin in Elder Scrolls

Alduin is Akatosh is Auriel I guess . Also, Akatosh is nothing more than a political move, the god of time reinvented when Alessia became the first emperor of Cyrodiil. Before Akatosh, the only version perceived of the god of time was against Mundus as Auriel and the world devourer Alduin. The mer saw the god of time as Auriel, the dragon time god who fought for the mer, fought against Lorkhan, and is against Mundus. The nords saw the god of time as Alduin, as a world devouring dragon, and favored by the mer. All of this happened during the Dawn Era, when time wasn't linear. Once time became linear, the events that happened somehow had to fall into place, and as such, the different perspectives became the god of time, creating different personalities of the time god

In order to understand the role of god in this game , you must realize that belief shapes them. This is where Akatosh comes into play. He was a political move, created by Alessia in order for the former slaves to hold onto their merrish religion, without knowing who helped liberate them. Through the power of belief and the intervention of the Selective the god of time became Akatosh, the preserver and good guy everyone here knows. Because of the power of belief, there are now 3 aspects of the god of time, who is the same being.

Lets look at another god who has 3 different perspectives, the god of space and the creator of Mundus. This god goes by the names Lorkhan (mer), Shor (nord), and Shezarr (Cyrodiil). Before Alessia, it was just Shor and Lorkhan. The mer saw Lorkhan as a trickster who robbed everyone of their coolness, awesomeness, and immortality with the creation of Mundus. As such, he was punished by Trinimac and had his heart removed. Then comes Shor, the god of space who created Mundus as divine mercy. The purpose of Mundus was to help mortals reach individual ascension, to become something greater than the gods were. This is something Vivec heartily agrees with. And then there's Shezarr, the Cyrodiilic version created as a way to make a Shor-lite.

I agree with Hellmouth's interpretation of Alduin and I won't add anything to the debate except to say that there's no reason Bethesda couldn't incorporate that into Skyrim's plot; especially as there will presumably be several factions or individuals who side with the World Eater, and they must have motives beyond wanting to end up in the stomach acids of a schizophrenic uber-entity in dragon shape. Anyway, I've no idea how Alduin could be presented in game. A unique, colossal dragon is the most obvious but not necessarily disappointing possibility, and I'm sure he'll be a lot more imposing a presence than Dagon was either way.

Now this is obviously intended, and it is also clearly where the sense of mystery and wonder comes from in the ES universe, but it is also its downfall - it's literally created some sort of elite class of fan - the loremaster, who worship the utterances of the man-god, MK people who seem to have extracted some sort of interesting meanings from all this stuff. Now I'm a massive fan of fantasy works, especially meticulously thought out universes brimming with interesting and challenging ideas, but ES leaves me a little lost in this regard - it's as if it's this great mystery that only a few people have fully figured out, and that the rest of us sort of grasp and at try to get, but really don't.

In 80% cases of immortal i have seen, the immortal age. the only times they don't is when they're pretty little anime girl vampires. thats not rare, but its rare that they actually don't age. someone who is 1000 years old may still be alive, hence he's immortal, but he's still old! in the elder scrolls everything is immortal pretty much. i wonder if characters will age in skyrim.