Thread: The Elder scrolls: What is CHIM?

The Elder scrolls: What is CHIM?

I have recently started playing this game and the thing is that I sound this game interesting but the other thing here is that I don’t know what CHIM is in this game and what it does basically. So now what I can do get rid of the confusion and how I can get the appropriate information regarding the same. So what is the best thing that will give me the appropriate information regarding the same? I think there are many users who play this game and if yes then I would love to know there experience regarding CHIM.

Re: The Elder scrolls: What is CHIM?

It's explained subtly, because the writers at Bethesda, full-time, freelance, or both, like us. Rather than beat us over the head with obscure philosophy, they have Vivec leave clues. And most of the information does come from Vivec, and he may be lying. We have no way of knowing for certain if he is or isn't. I have a theory as to why he may be, or why he may not be. He could also simply be wrong or insane, but those are a lot less interesting than the other two. The reason may people on the forum believe it to be true is because they find it to be the most interesting idea present as to the mechanics of Nirn. If you disagree that's fine, as I often try to look for other ideas, but don't just reject it. Think up something else, using the lore, and put it forward.

CHIM and the Godhead are both pretty high level metaphysical concepts, so any explanation of them is going to be somewhat difficult to understand. Most of the references to CHIM and the godhead are not found in the games (they are posted directly on these boards by Bethesda contractor Michael Kirkbride), which is why you might not have run into them before. The Mythic Dawn Commentaries and the 36 Lessons of Vivec are important texts dealing with both issues that are found in game

How do we know he wasn't lying.You decide if he was full of or was being truthful. He lived an extremely long life, had a lot of time to think about the world and things, and the idea behind the Godhead isn't something he pulled out of his butt. But hey, if you think he's full of, that's what you decide to believe. It's not like he's really relevant anymore. The TES world is inherently mythical. The metaphysical realities schizophrenic godhead and all that) matter about as much to an average Cyrodil as quantum physics do to an average American. Doesn't make them any less real or relevant, though.

CHIM is a difficult concept to grasp, I don't fully understand it yet. As for Godhead, it is a metaphysical concept that is so high up that it can be easily left ignored should you want to. When I first learned about the Godhead, and how everything is merely a concept in his dream, I thought that I'd never be able to think of TES the same way again. The writers were very clever in the way they very subtly left clues about it; one can ignore it completely if they so choose.That is why the concept of CHIM was so well executed: If you don't like it, then pretend it's not there. It won't do you any harm.

When I first read about it, I was like No way This can't be canon in TES!", but it is if you like it or not. You have a right to dislike of course, but the fact of the matter is that it is official in TES lore. If it bothers you that much, then ignore it. If you can't, then perhaps you can't like TES anymore. I think people don't fully understand it. Admittedly, I don't either. But Godhead should not be thought of as "a guy who's dreaming all this up", it should be thought of as a superior metaphysical concept. Being only 16, it's kind of hard for me to understand of all this "metaphysical concept" stuff completely. But I'll continue to try.