Thread: Fallout New Vegas DLC: RD Clark exterminated Feral Ghouls or Spore carriers?

Fallout New Vegas DLC: RD Clark exterminated Feral Ghouls or Spore carriers?

Question to Devs (hope I am not spoiling): there has been a slight debate on the Vault wiki over whether RD Clark exterminated feral ghouls or Spore carriers. Could someone of you verify Ghoul or Carrier? This in regards to the 2108 entry (all dates in this year refer to this event). They looked like corpses (like feral do) but some argue there could not have been a trigger for ghouls to appear in Zion. Once again, hope I didn’t say too much.

Re: Fallout New Vegas DLC: RD Clark exterminated Feral Ghouls or Spore carriers?

I kind of came to the conclusion that both happened to wander into the valley. Spore Carriers would not behave like undead humans like he was describing in my opinion. He would probably have referred to them as monsters of some sort. I as well subscribe to the theory that they were simply ghouls which wandered into Zion, and were wiped out. That would as well have prevented the spread of further lasting radiation in Zion.

Re: Fallout New Vegas DLC: RD Clark exterminated Feral Ghouls or Spore carriers?

In Vault 22 there was a computer that told us when people who died of the spores their corpses would re-animate. There was one that specifically described the death of one of the scientists. So he was killing what would become spore carriers. From what I read in vault 22 the spores kill you then slowly replace your flesh. The spore carriers in Zion are former humans. The Man eater plants and giant mantises were created by the vault 22 scientists for pest control. You see this when you find areas the escaping Vault 22 people inhabited being defended by the man eater plants. This was as well described in Vault 22.

I would say they were feral ghouls. Randall was a wanderer running into the Fallout universe as we know it. Ghouls are pretty solidly rooted in the Fallout mythos, so it makes more sense to encounter them. I am thinking the Spore Carriers weren't around until later, after Randall died of the fungal infection and spread the spores. As well he didn't seem to make any connection between the "zombies" he shot and Vault 22 party.

Randall probably wasn't killed by the fungal infection as he died decades after he drove out the Vault 22 survivors. People killed by it reanimate as Spore Carriers, his body is right where he died and there are no spore creatures where he dies. They seem thickest where the Vault 22 Expedition camped, at the guard camp and the other place where they penned up the Mexicans then ate them. It's quite clear Randall died of old age. An age of 71 is ancient in a world without healthcare and his death was nearly 30 years after his war with the Vault 22 expedition.

Seem like Ghouls if you ask me but the lack of appearance of Ghouls in Zion and it is after the Vault 22 Dwellers are defeated so I would say that the evidence might be tipped in the favor of Spore Carriers. Then again, 'rushed' isn't a word I would use to describe Spore Carriers, but Ghouls walking on two legs sounds more likely. I am going to say Ghouls. Even I would say ghouls. Sounds exactly like any other encounter I have had with them.

The Vault 22ers weren't ghouls at all. A number of them were infected by the spores and infected others of their number as they died from it, but they were at a standstill normal humans, albeit stupid evil ones. They come into a paradise full of edible plants and animals and what do they do, eat the first people they come across. And eating your women shows a distinct lack of foresight. Clark did the world a favor by whittling down their numbers; I doubt they survived more than a few weeks once they left Zion.

Through hardship and Sorrow, devoted to his memories of those he loved and the innocent people he'd silently taken under his care, he'd fought for over 40 years after nuclear Armageddon ro carve out a place to live in safety for people he didn't even know. By the time of his last journal entry, he knew they could stand on their own, and that he could finally let go in peace, having pushed his life to the absolute limit in the name of others.