Thread: What DLC to get first: Dead Money or Honest Hearts

What DLC to get first: Dead Money or Honest Hearts

Been a long while since I played NV. I never did get Dead Money when the DLC came out since I still had so much to do in NV. Well I don't really remember what my character was doing in my game a few months ago, and it seems almost new, so I am thinking of starting a new game again. My friend wants a new DLC for NV. So I only have 1000 Xbox points so I can only get one. I am not sure what to get. One of the reasons why I never got it was because at the time I didn't feel like having an Operation Anchorage or Mother ship Zeta type DLC is where once you start it, you have to complete it. Is Honest Hearts the same?

Re: What DLC to get first: Dead Money or Honest Hearts

Without any spoilers, which one has the better perks? Which has the better gear or reward loot? I don't know much about HH yet, too many spoilers so I can't be reading much, but from what I read about DM, I am don't feel like I really want it. Seems too dark, and just like OA or MZ it's just shoot. I want more roll playing a bit, something like The Pitt. I know from what I have read that HH is pretty short but great story. I have read mixed reviews about DM, but didn't read much because of spoilers.

Yes, once you enter HH you have to finish it before you can leave/go back to the vanilla Mojave again. The rest, I haven't played DM (it didn't sound like it'd be for me), only HH, so I will leave the comparison to others who have. Will say that my impression is that HH is more free-roaming like the original game, DM is more restricted. I am assuming that's your son in your avatar? He seems a bit young to be playing New Vegas, let alone getting DLC for it. So, get Dead Money. There are more F-bombs in that one, and it's much scarier.

Haven’t played HH yet (PS3), but I can tell by this board it’s not as good. Not sufficient crying about "too hard" or "got lost" or” stupid "cloud" or "dense speakers". There are no high hp enemies in DM. Even you are not a bullet sponge in HC mode. DM is for patient people. Ones that think before they act. There are many ways to die in DM. in HC mode. The story is good too. Very well written all around, DM is a once in a lifetime deal. HH sounds like the rest of new fallout

From what you have said, I think you will prefer HH. You are stuck in both DLCs until it's completed, but you can go back to HH once it's completed if you want (although some of the main characters disappear, inc. the only one you can trade with). In my opinion, the story in DM is far richer, and you have to think more about your actions (I wouldn't describe either DLC as a run and gun), but if you're interested in Joshua Graham, then HH is definitely the story you'll want to hear/play. The survivalist is also brilliant in HH, and will satisfy you exploring urges.

That should be a good choice considering the level of your character. Both DLCs gave me many hours of entertainment. By the time you finish HH, your character should be strong enough to wander over to DM at any time afterwards. DM (even with a sometimes frustrating and difficult ending) was one of my favorite DLCs. I as well found HH to be easier (particularly the final quest) than DM. Enjoy HH. Lots of stuff to explore while roaming around the area.

In my opinion, dead money is only good for the rewards. I found the combat and map to be redundant and the red cloud is just an eye-sore, doesn't really add any spookiness to it. And the whole speaker thing is so annoying, you will end up hating speakers more than anything else in the world when you play this. In the end, it's a very controlled environment, forcing you to play a very controlled and redundant way. HH in terms of gameplay and story is 1000x better.

I never ate a single bit of food in fallout until DM. In their, I was eating Blamco Mac n Cheese, Sugar Bombs, anything I could get my hands on to save on Stimpaks. When I found the indoor beds I sang to the heavens. That right there made it very cool for me. Exploring the Villa was fun for me too, finding all the little apartments you could get into while fighting the cloud all the while. The speakers were fun too, just took patience. The holograms were bit of a joke compared to some things in old school video games.