Thread: Who are Talos in Elder scrolls?

Who are Talos in Elder scrolls?

I understand Talos is Tiber Septim after apotheosis, but from my limited understanding of the lore, it would seem that people can only become deities through mantling another weak or dead. The only major deity missing from the Cyrodilic pantheon being Lorkhan, does this mean Tiber Septim was mantling Lorkhan, becoming the Ninth Divine. But wouldn't uniting all of the nations of Tamriel under Imperial law and ORDER be contrary to Lorkhan's pandomic/chaotic nature.Everytime I read about Lorkhan I am told he is a trickster god and son of Pandomay/Chaos, but his polar opposite Akatosh representing time appears far more chaotic as a non-linear construct. I am perhaps misinterpreting Lorkhan as a chaotic deity, when he is really the order conforming Akatosh into a linear form. Or am I just not supposed to get which of Lorkhan/Akatosh is chaotic or orderly? And what does this make Talos?

Re: Who are Talos in Elder scrolls?

The Nerevarine did go through the motions of becoming the Nerevarine, but it isn't the same thing. The same way that if you play through the Temple faction quest line in Morrowind, you'd be going through the motions and imitating Vivec, but the player did not become a god because you can't mantle Vivec because he is not Lorkhan. I think it was probably more of the Dunmeri worship of Nerevar that raised him to the hero-god-like status, though clearly Azura had some play in it. But reincarnation and mantling are two separate things, I think in a description of mantling somewhere it even makes a point to say that mantling is not reincarnation.

Shivering Isles is interesting. As everyone says in the main quest of SI, it's kind of something that's never been tried before. So it's not mantling, technically. "Mantling" as an analogy might work here, but it's not the same because it doesn't echo the struggle of Lorkhan Akatosh. You're right that it's not incarnation either. But there is a need for a Mad God. He is the Sithis-shaped hole in the world. When Jyg was freed from his curse, he ensured there would be some spirit that could take on the burden of being Aurbis's dangerous whimsy.

But he merely recognized, or was likely the first to recognize, how one transcends the whole deal. In mortality, and eventually in transcendence, are chaos and order united in a sense. And mantling is not exclusive to Talos. Mantling is a case of mythopoeia, or mortals' beliefs tangibley affecting the physical and metaphysical realities around them. You walk like them until no one can tell the difference in the collective consciousness. This is certainly the case with Sheogorath, as with others.

Actually, mantling IS exclusive to Talos/Lorkhan. It is a form of mythopoeia, yes, but not all mythopoeia functions in the same way. Mantling, because of its particular echo of Lorkhan/Akatosh, is a method of reaching divinity that can also be much more: a Walking Way, or method of transcending beyond Aurbis. The case of the new Mad God is analogous to mantling, but it can never actually be more than just making a powerful spirit more powerful. So mantling is a form of divinity-inducing mythopoeia, but not all divinity-inducing mythopoeia is mantling.

You are on to something, though. But the two are theoretically separate. Altering Mundic perception to change outer Mundic reality even to the point of apotheosis is not something exclusive to that myth-echo. Vivec and his accolades knew that process of alteration as the Symbolic Collage. If you think Sheogorath/The Champion is analogous to anything, you've not yet taken it to its ultimate step. Lorkhan/Akatosh is but pale memories of the Godhead.

You're right, I was merely arguing semantics. It is boring, but it was a point I was corrected on earlier by someone whose expertise I trust. If you look back a few threads, you'll see me asking the exact same question If most here expect "mantling" to be a catch-all term, then I will happily adopt it as such. Perhaps by making that semantic argument I diminished the power of mythopoeia I did not intend to. I am aware of how powerful the forces of belief are in Aurbis, and that they can cause apotheosis. I do have a question though: Considering that Sheogorath makes his home in Oblivion, and that he is a Daedroth, it would be safe to assume that he is distinctly Padomaic, correct? Subgradient, sure, but not the nice even mixture of Anu and Padomay that Mundus represents, right? It seems strange to me that a Padomaic realm that is its Prince.

I said something similar to this a while back, indicating a link between oblivion and the isles the events are the same to me. I was thinking about. Meaning it was similar to akatosh/lorkhan,but it basically got dismissed by most. I think lady N" said there was a connection, but maybe not as much as i thought. I haven't looked into it since, but whether it's my obsession with the isles or sheo,jygg,akatosh,lorkhan is important to me. I also mentioned dragon, but sort of backed away from that, for now. To me however you look at it, sheo and dragon are always in the fray somewhere. What got my attention after my post also, was sheo was or is the void shaped hole in lorkhans chest.