Thread: The Elder Scrolls: How many players can play in each province

The Elder Scrolls: How many players can play in each province

I get the itching feeling that this was already discussed more than once, but I didn't find it on the first 3 pages so I went ahead with this thread. Going by the landmass of Daggerfall, Illiac Bay is roughly the size of Great Britain, right? Since Illiac Bay comprises both Hammerfall and High Rock than High Rock itself should be the size of England plus Scotland. The comparison is adequate because High Rock has both rich low lands throughout the peninsula, but it also has the less populated highlands in the eastern mountain range.

Re: The Elder Scrolls: How many players can play in each province

This is very important. Tribal societies I'm guessing Black Marsh comes close to this have a much higher militancy than feudal societies. Feudal societies are build around the warrior caste, so military services is only reserved for the high born, while the peasants are often reluctant to take up arms. Tribal societies teach each man from a early age to use weapons to hunt or protect the village, most men in a tribe would know how to fight and they'd be pretty good at it too, think of the Mongols or the Seljuk Turks.

Well, Daggerfall had many people if I remember correctly. I'd assume that other cities like Wayrest it's situated at the mouth of a river, in general that means a large city, Orsinium I'd bet that Orcs are/were flocking to the city and Northpoint it's in a prime position for trade with Skyrim would have similar numbers, so I'd guess that High Rock as a whole could muster upwards of 100,000 men.I don't recall anything on the population of Hammerfall. But I remember that it's very rich, so it could probably afford a lot of mercenaries. Sentinel is a big trading city probably roughly the size of Daggerfall. But really, I have no idea.

The Imperial method though, would be cross between them too. Warriors aren't a separate caste, each can join the ranks, but there are probably more farmers in that society than soldiers. The Royal Houses of Morrowind functioned around this basis too. Everyone had membership, provided he was loyal to that house alone. They were also based on blood ties and had some similarities to the Ashkan tribes in Vvardenfell. There's also slave armies that House Dres could build up. You take the children born in slavery and raise them as fighting men from a young age. They're more loyal than mercenaries, but they can still turn on you as it happened with the Egyptian Mameluks during the Crusades. The size of a slave army depends heavily on the size of your treasury. Saladin had slightly more men than the Crusaders, but the more wealthy Ottoman Turkish armies were almost twice the size of anything the Europeans could throw at them.

Imperial rule would've secured trade routes and provide prosperity for the region of High Rock, but by the time of Skyrim, that prosperity ought to have reverted back a bit. High Rock seemed completely divided in Daggerfall, each noble looking after his own interest. The Empire did get involved every now and then to pacify the disputes. A house that's divided is much weaker than a house that's united. However if constant civil war is reality, then the militancy and fighting traditions would be higher than in a united kingdom.