Thread: I still don’t know how to end the Oblivion

I still don’t know how to end the Oblivion

I played through Oblivion recently to prepare for Skyrim. What I still can't figure out is that from the very start of the game, it's made abundantly clear that Mehrunes Dagon and other Daedra are no longer held back by the barriers between Oblivion and Mundus because the Dragonfires have been extinguished with the loss of the emperor, and that an heir to the throne wearing the Amulet of Kings is the only way to relight the Dragonfires which prevent the Daedra from creating long-lasting portals to the realm. And yet, when the main quest is complete, there are no dragonfires, there is no Emperor, and there is no Amulet. How exactly does Martin seal these barriers shut permanently?

Re: I still don’t know how to end the Oblivion

I can understand how mixing the blood of the last Emperor and a Divine, taking on the form of Akatosh was able to defeat Mehrunes Dagon and close shut the gates to Oblivion that were currently all over Cyrodiil. Even if Mehrunes Dagon is permanently cast back what prevents other Daedric Princes from interfering with the mortal realm by creating similar portals from their realms of Oblivio. I was under the impression throughout the entire main quest that the dragonfires created a barrier between Oblivion in-general and Tamriel, not Mehrune Dagon's Oblivion Realm specifically. In Morrowind daedra were able to cross this barrier but the portals between the realms were only temporary in existence, and could not allow for such a large-scale invasion.

I have always been under the impression that the Oblivion invasion was exclusive to Mehrunes Dagon and his Deadlands. Otherwise, as you said, why wouldn't all of the Daedric Princes invade? I know not all of the Daedric Princes would be particularly concerned with Mundus, but certainly many of them would want to take advantage of the situation. It also would explain why Dagon had so many of the other Prince's lesser daedra in his service, such as Molag Bal's Daedroth, Mephala's Spider Daedra, etc., the other Princes were lending Dagon their daedra to aid him, rather than invading themselves, because they couldn't.

My view on that is that there were a number of Princes who gave material or tacit support for his endeavor but didn't want to directly get involved. The most that they did was to help prevent the Princes opposed to Dagon's campaign from undermining it. But that lives off my theory that the Court of Oblivion is a dangerous one and there is no act you can accomplish outside of trivial trifles without support from an ally.

Given the nature of the Princes I'm sure there is a lot of intriguing political sparring between the daedra lords. I just don't think that Mehrunes would need much in the way of political support to invade Nirn. If anything I can see the other princes willing him on, just so that they can enjoy observing the spectacle of full on conflict between two realms. Of all the princes, Dagon by his sphere would be most concerned with dominating or destroying Nirn, even without adding his very ancient connection with the planet.

I always thought that when Akatosh sent Dagon back to the Deadlands, that Tamriel was only protected from an invasion by Dagon for a while. I thought that any of the other Daedra could attack, because the Amulet was shattered, thus breaking the covenant between Akatosh and Alessia, which would lead to the reason why Akatosh would attack in Skyrim. That was what my impression was. I also was thinking: what if Dagon invades again.

Before Morrowind, and the fall of Red Tower a brief lapse in White-Gold Tower White-Tower/Amulet of Kings) wasn't a big deal. Since the Nerevearine freed the Heart of Lorkhan, when White-Gold came offline with the death of Uriel Septim, Dagon was able to open gates. Mundus was to weak. At the end of Oblivion, rather than reactivating White-Gold, he replaced it by fusing with it's Stone, as a sort of permenant-dragonfire, therefore keeping White-Gold Stable and active. Sure, a bunch of Dagonites with hammers could probably take it out again, but given the importance of the monument, would anyone really be allowed that close to it