Thread: Which was your first map in The Elder Scrolls?

Which was your first map in The Elder Scrolls?

Game comparison polls are never accurate, when you consider that not everybody has played each game, not to mention the "nostalgia bias" and the "it was my first TES game" bias. I was just curious as to where the majority of the current fanbase comes from, and what their current interests/mindset for the "ideal" TES V are .Me, I started with Daggerfall, though I can't honestly say I knew of TES as a full-blown series at the time given my youth. From there, played Arena Morrowind, and then Oblivion. I still consider Daggerfall the best in the series, though Morrowind to be equally formidable, albeit in a different way.

Re: Which was your first map in The Elder Scrolls?

Oblivion was the first TEs game I played, played Arena afterwards, thought it a bit too dated for me. Played Morrowind not long after Arena, it became my favorite. played Daggerfall when the freeware one came out, and though I can see its positives over the others in some aspects, I haven't played it much, so Morrowind remains my favorite. And I really loved that game and also enjoyed the same while playing it.

Started with Morrowind, and then played through most of Oblivion right after I purchased my 360, but lost interest after about my 30th Oblivion gate so I went back to Morrowind, then tried a bit of Daggerfall when the free version came out. I like all three, but Morrowind is definitely my favorite. It's a toss-up between Daggerfall and Oblivion for second place. I'd probably go with Daggerfall for second, but can't seem to get immersed in it for long enough to play it more than a couple of hours at a time mostly due to game mechanics. I go back and forth between the three games, but spend most of my time playing Morrowind.

I played Oblivion first, and found it somewhat disappointing - not that it isn't a good game, but I really didn't think it lived up to the hype. It put me off trying any of the others for several years. Finally I got Morrowind and found it somewhat hard to get into, but once it grabbed me, it really grabbed me - I honestly consider it a much better game than Oblivion, despite the inferior graphics and technology. I recently downloaded the free version of Daggerfall, but can't get into it at all so far though there are a few things I like about it, such as the character creation system.

To be honest, I hardly remember it, or Daggerfall, since I played them so long ago. I downloaded the free version of Daggerfall, but couldn't get into it, mainly because of the controls. LucasArts is updating some of its classics to use modern graphics/controls, and bringing them out again. I'd love to see Bethesda do the same with Arena and Daggerfall. Started with Morrowind, still prefer Morrowind. I don't think it's because I played it first though. I went to Oblivion, then to Arena, then to Daggerfall. I'd say it's Morrowind > Daggerfall > Oblivion Arena for me. I prefer the more detailed environment as opposed to random everything. Have yet to play Red guard or Battlespire, though I want to try the latter.

I had a problem with the third question. Having played Morrowind and then Oblivion, but not having played Daggerfall or the even older games, none of the entries really fit, yet you can't complete the poll without filling out all three answers. I was impressed with Morrowind after an initial learning curve issue. When I got Oblivion, the graphics were plainly more detailed, and I was quickly hooked on the game for about a week or so, until the whole scaling issue, feeling of a forced pace to the MQ, devaluation of the character compared to the player, and general lack of anything "meaningful" to do outside of the MQ had me wondering "what's wrong". After completing the MQ more out of a sense of "I need to finish this stupid thing" than actual enjoyment, I went back to playing MW. To me, Oblivion was an excellent "FPS", but not a great RPG.

Not going to get into the whole "which is better" discussion, 'cause I'm a wimp. No, actually because people's mileage may vary and the difference between, say Daggerfall and Oblivion, is pretty huge. So, even though they are both TES games, the playing experience is quite different. I play different TES games depending on what I feel like doing- immersive: role-playing= MW; dungeon-crawling= DF; eye-candy and oddball questing OB. As to my answers- I got DF first and love it even on a 486 I eventually created a DOS partition on my newer PC to continue playing it. Bought MW vanilla and then each expansion and still play that, too. OB Collector's plus all expansions (again, as they came out) and I have or yet explored all of it.