Thread: What is terrain of Skyrim in TES?

What is terrain of Skyrim in TES?

This is probably going to be locked because it "should be discussed on the official thread", but oh well worth a try. So Cyrodiil's terrain was for the most part rolling meadows and such; pretty easy to get from A to B. Vvardenfell was smaller than Cyrodiil but felt bigger because it's difficult terrain made it difficult to traverse the province. Most maps of Tamriel just suggest mountains scattered about, but of course the specifics aren't set in stone. I personally think there should be a massive mountain range cutting through Skyrim (either east-west or north-south). Oblivion had mountains but they were pretty small, and if you ever reached the top, you would have to just turn around because you couldn't go down the other side. In Skyrim this mountain range would provide a really cool obstacle that you would have to travel through in order to get to the other half of the province. And there should be multiple mountain passages with dangerous creatures that would make it difficult to get through for low level characters.

Re: What is terrain of Skyrim in TES?

I would love steep mountain ranges that force you to take narrow, twisting paths down into misty valleys filled with hot springs and lush green vegetation, eclipsed by the massive elevations around you. Something similar to Entius Gorge for Oblivion. Yeah something like that only much, much bigger. I personally wouldn't like vegetation; but more "rugged" plants and terrain. That would be a great loss, I can see why Argonians wouldn't wanna live in a cold climate, but even so, that just means they wont make a settlement in the mountains. Not to say that they couldn't make a settlement in the mountains really, I'm sure you've heard of hot springs, I could totally see an Argonian settlement in/around a hot spring.

If they really go Skyrim then I hope they improved their landscape tools so the cliffs don't look like molten cheese and have actual overhangs. And seriously it shouldn't ALL be cold climate themed, Skyrim is primarily cold because of the highlands and not the northern position. Oh and another point, please don't make it all viking stereo type. I think most of us agree that there shouldn't be slow and cold everywhere. There should be highlands and lowlands, with cold and less so temperatures, respectively. I would love the whole place to feel a lot more dangerous and untamed than Cyrodiil.

Skyrim land is the toughest on the continent, which contains four of the five highest peaks in Tamriel. Only in the west of the mountains did not reduce the canyons and plateaus to reach by far the most cosmopolitan of the holds of Skyrim, pure Nords operation only in strict conformity with the most recent census imperial. The rest of Skyrim is a vertical world: the high peaks of the mountains of northwest-southeast oblique division by deep narrow valleys, where most of the population resides

You know one reason I am kind of worried about climate are Argonians, after all in Solstheim there was only one at the docks and even he just served to spit out a funny line. They could easily say argonians couldn't live in that climate" and either fully leave them out or have so few they don't even matter. That's why I am hoping for warmer areas or even a different province so that won't come happen.

I always tried to think of why I liked Morrowind's world better than Oblivion's. You pretty much just explained it for me. Morrowind felt more dangerous, and high fantasy, Oblivion was a lot of the same. I didn't like Oblivion's compass either, I liked looking at Morrowind's awesomely detailed pack-in map to navigate my way around the world. Everything you described, I would love to see. Bethesda, please make TES V's map similar to Morrowind, not Oblivion.

Personally I see the Falmer as the real dwarves of the TES universe, though without the beard etc. I assume their cities would be underground for the biggest part in the higher regions. If you then connect these up with mine tunnels made by the Nords, you have a nice underground world. The dungeon-like Falmer ruins would then either be unpatrolled and ruined Falmer cities or the sewers and their extent of used ones.