Thread: Fallout: New Vegas DLC The Survivalist

Fallout: New Vegas DLC The Survivalist

I was spelunking caves last night and ventured into one of his dens with the man's Desert Armor, and literally followed the directions he put in his terminal; "Going to cave south" and tracked his caves down until eventually I was left at a cliff-hanger with his dialogue "Princible better not show" or something akin to that. Are there more terminals? I need to know! Anyone have any idea on this? Please let me know if anyone finds anything about this.

re: Fallout: New Vegas DLC The Survivalist

The Survivalist is clearly the Sorrows "God" and I think you are supposed to take the whole thing to mean he lived out the last part of his life helping and protecting them. A lot of speculation is that the kids he mentions are the ancestors of the Sorrows tribe. So a nice turn of events for him at the end of his life. Some others have suggested a link between the plane and the children, i.e. a Lord of the Flies scenario. In the Lord of the Flies a group of children are stranded on an island after a plane crash. The back-story is that they were being ferried away from a war.

I would agree that it's an excellent sub plot. He's definitely the Father in the Caves the Sorrows worship. He even mentions in one of his journal entries how he'd leave cards for them signed as Father. And the booby traps he left in his caves would be the divine wrath that led to them being made taboo. The crashed plane as their origin makes sense and may be a reference to Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome which in turn (as mentioned above) references Lord of the Flies.

Searching for terminals and reading about Randall Clark was probably my favorite part of the DLC (especially the holotape in his duffel bag). I hope they add these kinds of side stories to Old World Blue and Lonesome Road. Going to echo the "best part of the DLC" thoughts. Every time I got a new quest from Josh and Daniel I was just like "yeah, whatever, going to go look for more booby-trapped caves."

I found the whole story intensely interesting and somewhat sad. This is one of the things that was lacking in NV and made FO3 so much fun to play and explore. I think they should have given you the option to show the Sorrows those entries, so they would know the truth, perhaps even have created a quest where you sought out the origins of the "Father in the Cave" at behest of either the Sorrows or Daniel. I think they would have been better for knowing who he was, even Daniel.

I too loved the survivalist and felt an odd connection to him even though he died long ago. The rest of the DLC was just OK and maybe even a little "meh" for me, but that story made it worth it. Just goes to show that you don't have to have live NPC's and tons of voiced dialogs to create a good story. The whole story was really well done and making the last chapter so difficult to find, I only came across it by chance was a great idea.

The plane must have crashed landed in 2077 as the earliest entry about the children is from 2123, 46 years have passed. As well the entry says "Youngest is 8 maybe, oldest 13-14, been on foot a long time, Struck camp on nearly the same spot as los Mexicans, 30 years and a lifetime ago." So was the crashed plane as their origin makes sense? The entry mentions their age and the date it was made, they could not possibly come from the plane as the entry flat out says "They escaped someplace they call "The School" but can't figure out where it was."

Re: Fallout: New Vegas DLC The Survivalist

I went back out there to search for his last entry. I heard there is a glitch that his rifle may not be there after completing the dlc. I can care less about another firearm; I just have to know everything there is to know. I will search more until I cave in and look on wiki. It must be somewhere really tucked away. I am out there now with only Giant Geckos, Bears and Cazadors looking for this last damn cave. I have died 3 times going back and looking for it, and died 0 times during the dlc. With no follower to warn me and me just running around looking through binoculars, I am getting crushed out there.