Thread: Work of obsidian for Fallout: New Vegas DLC

Work of obsidian for Fallout: New Vegas DLC

Nice work to Obsidian for tying New Vegas and its DLCs together, much better than Fallout 3's DLCs. The way we learn about Ulysses through the entire game also he has been referenced in the 2 DLCs so far. New Vegas-Dead Money-Honest Hearts-Old World Blues-Lonesome Road all work in Harmony its like one big game to me w/o extra content. What you all say about this? Let me know your reply or your suggestion about this.

Re: Work of obsidian for Fallout: New Vegas DLC

I feel like I spent 20 bucks on content that could have been in the base game. The DLCs were good, but it feels like they designed the game knowing they were going to charge more lately for the complete game (the fact the Northern passage is in the base game is basically proof of this). I have never been a fan of the idea of DLCs. I would rather pay 25 bucks for a really big expansion like Bloodmoon (Morrowind Expansion).

Ulysses hasn't been mentioned by name but he was the other courier mentioned any Nash in prim and he's referenced by Christine in DM, you can hear several rumors about the burned man in the legion camp mostly slave comments and I believe there’s a conversation about him with a named legionary. I also like how their tying everything in together, as for the comment about the dlc could have been included in the main game it wasn't even worked on until after new Vegas was completed so it’s not liked you got ripped off its an actual download not just unlocking something already on the disk the dlc probably was planned for while working on the game but that just seems like being smart and planning ahead.

DLC isn't just what was "left on the cutting room floor" when the game is released. It’s not storylines that are cut out of the retail version just so the Dev’s can make more money. DLC is always going to be tied into the original game and made to feel like it was part of the original game. Why would it be different? It doesn't make sense to make DLC that is not tied to the game in some way and to make it feel like it shouldn't be part of the game would be defeating the whole purpose of DLC. That would be called a different game.

I think that both Fallout 3 and Fallout NV have given more than their money's worth and I don't feel in any way that I was made to pay for more content that should have been in the game already. This came up over and over again when the DLC for Fallout 3 was released. So many people thought since the story interconnected with the shipped game that it should have just been included or given out for free. A lot of the DLC is created after the retail game was finished. The ideas may have been there but not fit on the shipped product.

Dead Money to me is the better of the 2 DLC's and is warranty to be an extra part of the game. Honest Hearts should of been included in the main frame of the game, as it doesn’t consist of much, and apart from the nice views and landscapes, not a huge amount happens which couldn't have been implemented into the main game. DM had a surreal but nature feel to it linked in part to the main game, HH to me, was rushed and just seemed totally out of sync with the main game.

I don't know. I always thought the integration was pretty clumsy. It's, 'You hear a radio signal'. I understand why this is done on release, you purchase a DLC, and you want to get right into it. What I would like to see with the GOTY (or whatever it's called) is real integration. When you buy the game of the year, the DLCs are just extra missions, right? So they can be woven into the story in a more organic way. Imagine if, instead of just hearing the Sierra Madre broadcast as soon as you leave Doc Mitchell's, you begin (after level 10, say) hear random rumors about Camp Forlorn Hope, maybe radio operators are disappearing in mysterious circumstances.