Thread: What level should your character be to play the DLC in Fallout: New Vegas

What level should your character be to play the DLC in Fallout: New Vegas

It doesn't seem as if any of the DLC describes what levels the content is keyed to and I don't want to get it until I need it. So what level should your character be to play the DLC? Is any of it meant to be played after you finished NV? I'm surprised this type of information isn't clearly labeled with the content. I ask this question to many person and I also get some responses: you can be any level however you may die and rage quit more often on a low level I find 20+ to be acceptable. And it depends on what type of challenge you’re looking for. The higher your level the easier it becomes.

re: What level should your character be to play the DLC in Fallout: New Vegas

Here I have something for you. In Dead Money - Recommended level is 20, and in Honest Hearts - No level recommendation. The difficulty of the enemies in Honest Hearts is dependent on your level. I did HH at 14 and had no problems, plan on doing it again on a different playthroughs at level 5. The DLC, including the unreleased ones; Old World Blues and Lonesome Road, are meant to be played before FNV is beaten. As stated in an interview: The end of New Vegas is the end. There will be no DLC to maintain after Hoover Dam.

I have heard there's dialog from one of the NPCs that suggest you should be over level 8 for Honest Hearts. Something along the lines of "You sure you want to do this now? Maybe come back when you are a little more growed up." I wish I as well could remember who found this so I could give them proper credit, but I don't remember that either. If you are under level 8 they say "you sure, you look a little green" or something along that line.

As mentioned, level 20 is recommended for Dead Money. I entered HH at level 9. The only issue to watch out for with an early level character is ammo (particularly with SMGs that run through ammo quickly). Try to take a few guns that use completely different types of ammo. Doing Honest Hearts early in the game allows you to have access to a few nice items from that DLC for most of the main game. Having at least one gun with a scope is a very good idea. If it is silenced, even better.

If you go in at level 30+ the white legs all have brush guns, combat shotguns, 12.7mm SMGs, anti materiel rifles etc, and they will have less powerful weapons if you go in at a lower level. So except you go into Zion very well prepared, it's not easy at all. Unless you play on very easy, non-hardcore which I assume you did. I may attempt Honest Hearts again with one of my higher level characters, to be able to use a few different guns.

Re: What level should your character be to play the DLC in Fallout: New Vegas

I haven't played Dead money through yet but I believe it's recommended you be about Level 20. Honest Hearts I started a character and got him to Zion at level 1 promptly dinged him to Level 2 in the first fight and finished the zone's quests at Level 10. Deleted the character though as the weapons and gear you get are pretty overpowered and made the regular Mojave content next to trivial. So if you want to make money off it, go in at higher level.

cool Re: What level should your character be to play the DLC in Fallout: New Vegas

When it comes to level on Dead Money I don't think it is that big of an issue. I started a new account and went into the DLC straight away with no problems, infact if played through correctly you can have massive start of game bonuses such as an unlimited supply of stims, rad-aways and rad-x, PLUS you get the holo rifle which is a very good gun, AND if you play correctly you can end up with 300000 caps worth of gold. I think my reasons speak for themselves.