Thread: Shields in Fallout: New Vegas DLC

Shields in Fallout: New Vegas DLC

So I was thinking about this today. I know you can block with melee weapons and unarmed. But what if there were actual shields in NV? It would make melee combat more intense (I think). Obviously you could only equip them if you are using a one handed melee weapon. And it would make it easier to defend against ranged shooters (you could block their shots with shields). I was thinking that there could be some kinds of Bullet Proof Riot Shield or some kind of tactical modern military shield and maybe a couple old school medieval looking ones just for fun. Anyone else think this could be cool or interesting for melee characters? Or is this a dim idea? And would you like to see something like this added on in a future DLC?

Re: Shields in Fallout: New Vegas DLC

That's what's missing with the Legion. The key to their success was their battle formations; these depended on an almost impenetrable shield barrier. Fallout's Caesar may have been emulating the Roman army but he forgot their primary tactic. I know there have been a few times I could have used a riot shield; maybe we'll get one in a DLC. It seems like a surprising oversight, but I expect it was just a design choice. The research was pretty good.

I would be more excited to see the legion if they had Shields (Metal ones) painted like Roman scutum, for them to use them to form human walls around settlements and close in on them. Could use them to hit people with. For Ceasers legion to have short swords or even just machetes along with the shields would be cool. Also throwing spears. That is a lot more Roman then just having football outfits and calling yourself "Ceasers." A line of Ceasers Legion with Shields out in front. They throw their spears then charge a mob of Wastelanders. While a few stay back and fire beanbags into the Wastelanders mob. I would as well want them to have lethal weapons.

Good idea, that’s what the legion is missing! There is no roman soldier with sword and spear and no shield. And I wish the legion used the short sword as the Romans did. And we previously have energy weapons and laser weapons so bullet proof shields wouldn’t be that bad I wish the legion utilized the same tactics with the shield formation and stuff, well I hope they will put some shields in the next fallout game.

Agreed, bullets would go through them easy but the Legion is Slavers. They make their money by talking people alive. From the info about the legion they were going up against people without guns. Legion shows up. Makes a shield wall around a town and move in on it. Using none lethal weapons. Legion in Mojave are on the War path against NCR, so maybe they set aside their shields but a couple here and there would be nice to see.

Legion is equipped with machetes and is not always using guns. So a wooden shield plated with bronze is good enough to kill a human at close range. I haven’t seen many sniping legions lately. Riot shields are strong enough to take a couple of bullets before it’s broken. If they are or going to put shields in fallout they should use LT on Xbox/ ps3 left trigger for using the shield. In that case they should give the players the penalty of not is able to aim a gun and so on while using the shield.

I have been thinking that sense I first picked up N.V. Tough they wouldn’t be able to stop most types of rifles/pistols, some of them could be made reflective, causing laser beams to bounce back toward the aggressor. And, they would make melee combat so much more satisfying. The Great Khans could have some sort of tribal looking shield, the BoS could use a power shield, and NCR riot shield and so on.