Thread: The elder Scrolls : Player vs Enemy

The elder Scrolls : Player vs Enemy

This topic is meant to address how the game should change as the character's level increases, possible level/skill schemes, and enemy level progression relative to the player. Any suggestions about whether or not to have a scaling system, how equipment is dispersed and how it changes with the player's level, if the game world should open up gradually with level or not, if in-game NPC's should recognize your level; any input on how a character's level and skills affect the world and gameplay in the next installment of TES.

Re: The elder Scrolls : Player vs Enemy

I personally think that generic enemies, such as bandits and animals, should not be leveled, nor should their gear, at least not past a certain point (I don't want the game to be too unfriendly to beginners either). However, I would like to see leveled generic bosses, with leveled gear. It would not only help them stand out as bosses, but would emphasize challenging fights with appropriately good rewards. As for Daedra, they should retain the whole "tougher ones don't appear until you reach a certain level" but should retain the weaker ones at higher levels. And like before, leveled bosses.

I've been thinking about it a lot lately, as the scaling was the one of very few things that I felt went wrong in OB not just the fact that enemies became juggernauts for no reason, but the fact that I didn't feel like my character got any stronger as my skills became better and my level went up. In many rpg's, the reward for leveling is that new areas open up, where the previously too-high-level enemies kept you from going. These areas then have loot and equipment appropriate for your level and your approximate skill set. However, I do understand why many people want there to be some semblance of a scaling system: otherwise, some areas of the game become boring and never get revisited. However, I think this can be remedied in two ways

Make end-game dungeons with the best equipment in the game in all different leveled areas, where you must enter the dungeon itself to come into contact with the high level enemies. Also, make some (smaller) areas blocked off, only accessible if the character has the appropriate skill and skill level to remove the barrier. These areas would also be high level, and contain equipment, special spells, and loot that would enhance the skill that was required for entry.

Have Daedric realms, some caves, some ruins, etc., where the enemy levels scale, and make some of these realms generate randomly. These realms will have loot that is appropriate in value for a player's level, so the character can continue to make money while leveling at the same time. This lets the players who like to get the highest possible level for a character and max out all skills to do so. The reason for the different settings: different enemies, so that the player doesn't just have to fight daedra, or just trolls, what have you, and instead can opt to fight a different type of enemy if they please. Let the enemies gain different abilities as the level as well, so that the fights don't become too repetitive with time.

I definitely understand the thinking behind OB's loot and enemy scaling, however think implementation just seemed lazy. They really need to take a good long look at each creature, enemy, npc quest and area of the game and custom-tailor them all, including what is randomized and what is static or ranged. The overall goal should be to make the player feel vulnerable til level ten, then on par with most anything from 10-20 and then powerful 20-30 and then god-like beyond 30. My level 33 spells word one-shots just about anything anyway with Umbra or Finger of the Mountain so that seems about fair.