Thread: I am not getting the RPG feeling in The elder scrolls

I am not getting the RPG feeling in The elder scrolls

In Morrowind, getting lost was going to happen. You had to listen to the instructions people gave you. When traveling you had to use your signs and re-read your journal. If you were me, I often used the paper map too. In Oblivion they introduced the compass. Now it has its benefits, don't get me wrong. However looking back on it, What ever quest you encounter in Oblivion you just followed your compass for the most part. In Morrowind you were prone to being lost. Matter of fact, I know I would get lost on a few quests and just get frustrated and head back to town for supplies or something. To me it definitely added to the game. Does anyone else feel this way?

Re: I am not getting the RPG feeling in The elder scrolls

So I want to know what people think of the compass. Should it be in the next game? I actually enjoyed getting lost and looking for things with actual hard instructions. And because of this, you would explore more of caves and places. With the compass you just found what you needed and got out. Now its not to say you couldn't still explore. I did. Bit just overall it lacked the RPG feeling. In life you don't get a magical compass that tells you where to go. If your dad sent you to the store and you didn't know where, he gave you instructions.

Keep the compass and get rid of the quest markers on the compass. Or just get rid of quest markers all together. I did enjoy the difficulty of finding things in Morrowind on occasion, but it did get very frustrating at times. Though I would definitely prefer it to Oblivion's hand holding system where there's always an arrow pointing in the right direction no matter where you are. I hope that you are getting my point here and if not then try some other way round.

Well it's been said before, but you were forced to follow that stupid arrow because the extent of the directions given in Oblivion were pretty good. I guess the completely random generated stuff made it hard to describe landmarks and write actual directions. It would be nice if the NPCs actually gave directions so you can turn the arrow off. This was a problem in Fallout 3, also. one of my favorite things about any RPG is all the stuff I stumble across the first time I'm finding my way through this unfamiliar world. The arrow showing me exactly where to go, plus the fact that after that khajit bandit outside, they gave up on adding unique things to stumble across, just tree, rock, log , bear, repeat, plus the fact that the environment looked like Maryland, really made any "stumbling across a new, unfamiliar world" wonder absent in Oblivion, for me.

I tend to agree with more Morrowind less oblivion, However I wouldn't have this constricted of a view. I enjoy all of Oblivions new combat systems and much more. But back on topic, the problem with mods is there are two kind of mods. Creative ones, and ones that solve problems or fix annoying things. A mod that removes the compass is the latter. And even if you remove it, the NPC's don't give decent instructions. And as said, nothing was super exciting in Oblivion. I think that was another flaw. Morrowind was so...out of this world. oblivion seemed to be focused on a real world environment. I don't mind some reality. For example, Solsthiem was amazing; I loved the winter wasteland, and the wolves. However they added spriggans and other fantasy things. Getting lost is part of a RPG, and among getting lost so is finding new amazing things and places.

The difference-As long as one has mark and recall, getting lost anywhere in Daggerfall isn't a problem, nor is there anything interesting to find in Daggerfall when getting lost, and Daggerfall had a compass, like Oblivion, which Morrowind lacked. In many ways, Oblivion is more like Daggerfall than Morrowind is. Of course, people saying "nothing like Oblivion" isn't a shocking surprise, but pretending Arena and Daggerfall were anything more like Morrowind than Oblivion is ridiculous. They both had a compass and much simpler directions than Morrowind.