Thread: The elder scrolls: Too much gold in the past games

The elder scrolls: Too much gold in the past games

I was wondering if anyone else thinks that there is just TOO much gold in past elder scrolls games. I mean I know they try to balance it, but I was thinking, for TESV that would be a cool fix. Morrowind was, OK with the gold situation, if u played it really well you could easily grab more than you need, but in Oblivion, you kill 10 bandits at level 25 and you make min of 6k. Does anyone else think that there is just too much gold in past games? Or just right? Or do you hope they change it in the next game?

Re: The elder scrolls: Too much gold in the past games

Well, seeing as I had over 3 million gold pieces in Morrowind, that might be too much. What Bethesda needs to do is to actually make us want to spend some of our gold to buy some unique things, houses, etc. Bethesda should make us want to buy armor and weapons and trinkets throughout the game. Gold kind of became obsolete in Oblivion anyway, because all you had to do to get the good armor, weapons, potions, or anything else useful for your level was walk into Rock milk cave and wait for the bandits and marauders to kill each other.

I think Oblivion's problem was that everything felt so damnably deflated in its economy. You could accrue hundreds of thousands of septims and instantly become a land-baron, and then within a few in-game weeks or months accrue yet another hundreds of thousands of septims. If prices were adjusted to fit with the ability to earn that said hundreds of thousands, then there would be little problem. Instead, the player ends up with vast amounts of coins with which they can do almost nothing.

There was definitely too much gold in Oblivion, you can pretty much just kill something, sell all its stuff, and suddenly you're rich. Maybe in the next game when you buy a house there could be an option to hire servants, who you have to pay. Also another way could be that you need to repair your house every once and a while, which would cost quite some coin. I seriously had so much of the stuff that I pretty much just used it for bribing and paying fines.

While I agree about houses being a major way to add something for the player to spend money on, there are some other subtle tweaks that could revitalize what the player must buy and what-not. Imagine if torches were not easy-to-find filler-loot in any dungeon or cave-entrance. Imagine instead that the player would be forced, most of the time, to buy them, as the odds of finding them in the wilderness would be slim. Therefore, the player would have something else they would have to spend money on in preparation for dungeon-delving.

I think people would have less gold if there wasn’t fast travel, with FT you can zip between dungeons and shops and sell everything that was in there. Without FT, people would have to hike back to the city first, which may take ages if the next game has a big environment. Plus there are too many things that be exploited to get you loads of money. In Obliv, everyone had leveled items, so in later levels, you would substantially increase the income of gold. Another thing that I use is good charm spell (100 pts), this gives me max disposition with the NPC, and so I can sell for the best price.