Thread: The armor poll in Elder scrolls

The armor poll in Elder scrolls

Armor is always a good point of discussion. Many armors such as glass, imperial guard and other armors that appeared in both morrowind and oblivion looked completely different. And for some reason, Morrowind contained a wider variety of imperial armors and while there is a dwemer armor in each game, that race does not exist, and many playable races in the game do not have a native armor set available. Personally I would be very curious about red guard armor, Kaijit armor or Argonian armor. Would be rather interesting to see. I also prefer the morrowind designs over the oblivion designs.

Re: The armor poll in Elder scrolls

I think that they should include what armors they want. If they want to change around some things, I personally don't have a problem with it. And, if they decide to include some certain kind of armor that we've never seen in TES before I know I won't freak out or anything. It's just armor and they have much more they could have done. I like every armor, and think they should all be included, however, things like Daedric, shouldn't appear every damn time you meet a bandit. In Morrowind, there was I think 2 sets of it and that was all.

I like a few armors from both games some more than others and some I liked equally for example I like the Morrowind ebony more than the ebony in Oblivion but on the other hand I like both Morrowind and Oblivion Deadra armors so I think it would be cool to have either both or a sort of mix as well as multiple styles of Daedra armor same with some others as well. I hate to say it but, aesthetically, I liked most armors in Morrowind better than their Oblivion versions. I thought female Iron and Leather armors looked better in Oblivion, but I thought Glass armor took a huge graphical step backwards.

Suggestions for new armors are always welcome, for the poll I choose to cover pretty much all armors from morrowind and oblivion. So far it looks rather clear that the Oblivion glass armor is not popular. Not realy a surprise, but its a good way to show Bethesda that the Morrowind style would be preferable if they plan to put in glass armor again. Variations of armor is defiantly a good suggestion, like Morrowind Daedric armor had several helmets. Glass armor could come in various colors, Steel is also something that could come in many sizes. A knightly helmet with a large plume that cascades down the back of the helmet could be rather beautiful.

I would agree, I want to see variety. And it's okay if some armors aren't necessarily better or worth than others. Armor doesn't have to be a linear progression from weakest to best under a specific skill type. It's okay to have some armor's that have the same stats but look somewhat different, or even, and I know this sounds inconceivable, but armor on equivalent levels with different stats that might suit different players. Like for example, instead of just fur being the worst light armor and glass being the strongest, and everything in between following a linear progression from weakest to strongest, instead we could have armor with comparable quality but different stats.

IT would also be great if armor was consisting out of more parts again like in morrowind, with the option of wearing clothing under it. That greatly expands the appearance options. Perhaps attachments could also be introduced, to match with several armors. Things like surcoats, capes and such could be separate items. By designing them to work with a specific armor or several armors of a very similar shape, clipping could be prevented.

When you find a new armor, it doesn't always need to be better in every way than what you have now to be worth using, sometimes, it could have both advantages and disadvantages compared to what you're already wearing. Maybe it offers more defense, but weighs more, or maybe it has less enchantment cost, or something like that. The point is that different armor types should have their own merits, glass might be the best light armor has to offer if you want defense (At least, not counting unique items.) but I can't imagine covering yourself in shiny bright green glass plates is good for sneaking, I just hope to see this reflected in game. This is not to say that no armor should be better than another, just that, in the same "tier", so to speak, there should be more than one type of armor that is good for different purposes, in short, the choice of which armor to make should be more than just going for whichever has the highest defense.