Thread: Call of Cthulhu: Pc vs. Xbox

Call of Cthulhu: Pc vs. Xbox

As a fan of the Simon the Sorcerer games and Feeble Files, I'm looking to know which version of Call of Cthulhu I should buy and play. I would also play this on an original Xbox if I were to buy it for that platform as I don't like 360's inconsistent compatibility. Browsing the forums, it seems like the Xbox version has less bugs, but if you do encounter bugs in that version, you won't be able to trade or download save games like the PC version will you? As far as 100% completion and sometimes not being counted right, I see there is a PC version patch.

Re: Call of Cthulhu: Pc vs. Xbox

It's it impossible or near impossible to get 100% completion because of bugs on the Xbox version as well. As well I am wondering if either game has additional content, like more stories, levels, and so on. Or maybe which one is more polished. I see the PC version was released 6 months later, but it also seems to be giving more people trouble on the forums here. Maybe less people play it on Xbox. Anyways, I appreciate any help I can get.

The Xbox version is the best version, we finished and had it certified by Microsoft so it if definitely possible to finish with zero bugs, but some was never identified during testing, the PC version however was a WIP when the studio went bankrupt, and it came out due to exceptional dedication of one or two coders, but as a result has more bugs, and newer graphics cards and Vista has exacerbated the problems. So in short I would recommend the Xbox version on the original Xbox if possible.

I own the Xbox version, and the only bug I've experienced is the easiest to circumvent. The PC-version drives people crazy with all its bugs and extremely specific system-requirements. In the event that you're contemplating purchasing the PC-version, you should check if the game is compatible with your hardware. Quite a few graphic-cards won’t work for Dcote. I played it on my 360 with a few minor issues but overall it worked fine.

Earlier than the PC port was finished Headfirst Productions gone bankrupt and one of the developers finished it in his own time. Which is why it's not exactly perfect. Especially newer machines seem to have some problems (glitch rain drops, missing lights on boat level). So yeah buying the Xbox version is 'safer'. It is less buggy than the PC version, and the PC version offers hardly any advantages over the Xbox version.

Well I finished PC version. It was amazing! Amazing. I'm so disappointed the game did not sell well. It truly is a (as they say) - Citizen Kane of the horror genre! I'm not joking! Disagree? Go finish the game! It is not perfect but it is VERY effective. No Silent Hill or Res Evil ever comes close. I never like the horror genre to start with but I play the best of the bunch. This game is the best. My used copy of Xbox version (I would have bought a new one, if I ever found one.) was getting stuck at once scene, so I had to finish a PC version. I think PC was looking much better too. But Xbox is pretty good too anyway.

I formerly went by "Ray" but now Raymantis as "Ray" is taken. I used to provide lots of saves and additional game content, and I am happy to help out where I can. I am happy to assist with technical support regarding the PC version of the game. I can provide save games which will circumvent the common bugs (i.e., random blackouts, reboots, errors, the blue light bug) etc. I always thought there should be a "Game saves" sticky topic in the hints and spoilers section in order to help those who have to put up with the pc bugs.