Thread: The Elder scrolls: Discussion on Bethesda’s game series and gameplay

The Elder scrolls: Discussion on Bethesda’s game series and gameplay

So, since hearing of the announcement or so say, even the rumors peek at by MK himself), I have been kind of thinking. A lot of good, a lot of bad. Now, let me just say with a first thought that this ISN'T a rant, or a raving mad article, or anything else, really. It's just my own voice of the matters, and well, ya know, your voice is usually worth less than the soap box you're standing on anyway. So to put grievances to rest, feel free not to read anymore if I begin striking chords of disinterest. Without anymore ado, my original sentiments.

Re: The Elder scrolls: Discussion on Bethesda’s game series and gameplay

Video games. They are what they are. Art, statements, thoughts, ideas, memories, feelings, and escapes or even all-too-real insights. That's why we play them, to think, to not think, to shoot things, to see sights, to feel like we're going somewhere where normal life could never take us. This is, of course, all a tie-in with the how is and whys of Skyrim being my main point of interest here. No real need to accentuate on this, because there are a few other things in TES I'd like to touch up on first. Let's start with the games before, that lead us up to this point in time. Arena? No, not exactly. Not enough to go off of there; more like a play-for-yourself basis.

Now I know a few people here who basically use this game as holy ground for the series. When Bethesda was still young, but still had its rough draft (Arena) out in the fray. So they could then empower what they had built upon. Graphically, and mechanically. Well, before we an even touch on this, I need to make a statement of all video games, and that is what makes the game have its feel. Is it the way we can control our character, or the way things look, the mood the game capture? Possibly all of the above, and then some. But what I'm getting at, are bugs. How a faulty mechanic can actually give the game its charm. Like I said, a few people here still love Daggrfall amongst all other TES games, for its feel. And I think that there's no denying the bugs within the game.

Daggerfall still captures the imagination of many because of how it's made to play out. Random dungeons? Random towns? Cumbersome world map? Fairly nauseating dungeon map? How does this make a good game? Initiative. You you truly feel like this is a world, with so many little towns and graveyards and miles and miles of...NOTHINGNESS. It gives a real-world feel to an old-age game. The way they capture the essence of just how insignificant you really are, and how far you can come. Sure, the dialog is nearly-linear, as the only reason you talk to NPCs ever is really to sell things or find where a person/place is. But it does this well, with a system that you can really feel yourself role-playing with. Repetitive dungeons, and nonsensical lay-out? Maybe. But you still get a little creeped out every time you enter one of them, and there's a sort of desolate ambiance and charm to them.

I did it based on how I wanted my character to feel he felt in the game world. Regenerate in water? You bet, it can actually give you a reason to wade around like a goof, and you can make your own interesting reasons as to why your character regenerates in water. Purely role-playing essence. Put Daedric as one of my primary skills? Sure. It can make a lot of sense if you're trying to play a Dunmer who used to be a Daedra worshiper in Morrowind. Restrict a type of armor? Certainly. It can all be tied into how your character feels about certain things. And this is why I believe those few form members love this game still. The way it pulls you in. Sure, it looks blocky and spritely and flat compared to the games we have now, but this kind of stuff was what people pined for back then. The main quest is very well written, if a bit intrusive and certainly a long experience, but it makes the game feel that much more complete. Like you're a true hero, should you decide to embark on the task.

I know there's a lot of griping going on, seemingly taking an even-less RPG route to the previous games. And I felt the same way after reading the article. Dragon fights? I am just going to come out and say that. I don't know what it is, because it’s all speculation, but I feel they're going to go back to the desolate feeling on the games. They're going to go and give the RPG elements back to the world. The lore is going to be massive and indulging, and the atmosphere of how significant we can become will still be there. Maybe we'll have our fast travel, and maybe we'll have our action-oriented combat, and maybe we'll just only have 12 skills.

Morrowind is still the hot-topic when it comes to what Oblivion was and what it could have been. It happens. I'm not going to start comparing the two, I'm just going to flesh out my own feelings on them. Morrowind is a game that still, to this day, is riveted over. From the ever-amazing mods that come out for it, to the base game itself. So we're stepping the game up in terms of what they did in Daggerfall. Though Daggerfall's main quest dungeons were still painstakingly made by hand, and much larger than anything we can kind find in Morrowind, least we forget that. But there was more life to each hand-made dungeon. The NPCs were far fewer, but had much more to say, much more to tell.