Thread: The Elder Scrolls on the PC

The Elder Scrolls on the PC

I have a dilemma. Currently I own a Mac Mini and I can't decide whether it would be worth it to purchase windows 7 to boot camp it and get TES games for PC instead of console. I want the option to mod and get mods, but I'm not sure if it's worth it because of the graphics limit I have. I can't exchange my graphics card because of the way the Mac mini is built, so I'm kind of stuck as it is. At the moment I'm only using a 17" monitor, so the resolution and graphics for most games can be turned all the way up because of the small size of the monitor :celebration: but I'm not sure how that would work out with the current TES and Fallout titles, along with upcoming Skyrim.

Re: The Elder Scrolls on the PC

It's not necessarily the cost, just the specs of a Mac mini. Without being able to change the graphics card, I won't get that much of an upgrade from console in terms of graphics. It's more of a "Will Fallout 3/Oblivion run better on it than 360?" as well as will future titles run just as well. I don't even utilize graphics mods. The most precious mods to me are gameplay-changing mods, quest mods, landmass-adding mods, house mods, companion mods and mods that add new creatures, new weapons and new armor into the game. You don't need a super-powerful computer with advanced graphics to use any of those types of mods.

Well to be honest I'd have to get a copy of Morrowind for PC to use the MGE mod for it. I love that game but it's a pain with the animations and graphics that it runs on out of the box. I am quite confident that it won't exceed my graphics card. I may have to learn how to mod fallout and oblivion though. It would be fun to make projects out of that to do a few quite neato things. Similar with when Skyrim comes out.

Do you have 4 GB of RAM? If so then play it on BootCamp! If you run at a decent resolution you should be able to set the textures and shader to MAX! Works for most games. I can play Crysis 2 at 1280x800 with max detail, 30 frames +. I play Portal 2 on Mac OS X at max resolution a MBP can go and the whole thing that can be turn up, set to MAX. 30 frames +. I personally will obtain a copy for Xbox 360, beat it. Then purchase it for PC and mod the heck out of it!