Thread: The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion played better but Morrowind ‘Felt’ better

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion played better but Morrowind ‘Felt’ better

It’s funny, in the advent that this game is nearing its final stages I was thinking about something. Sure Oblivion played better (Improved combat, visuals, and quests) But why didn’t it feel as deep as Morrowind. I guess it comes from the way that game started. When you started Oblivion, the whole epic assassination and task given to you from the start put the player in an epic storyline. Even though you could ignore the main story quest it was in the back of your mind for, well, the entire time. Morrowind starts you off on a ship, you’re a prisoner. And then you’re let go, that’s it. They tell you what you can do and give you papers to meet with someone. And you were off. Do whatever you feel. The quest arc there was much more engaging to me. You had to go find it.

Re: The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion played better but Morrowind ‘Felt’ better

My thoughts, or as a minimum hopes for how Skyrim will begin is basically this: You're being lead to your execution when suddenly a dragon attacks, you're fast enough to dive into the bushes, but the guards aren't so lucky and get roasted. You're in the middle of nowhere, Riverwood just on the horizon. You get there, and immediately get to know about the civil war. I hope the main quest starts you off doing stuff in the civil war, then slowly leading into the dragon plot-line. This introduces you to Dragons in a really cool way, leaving you wanting more, but still has the slow Morrowind start. I believe it's the middle ground between Oblivion and Morrowind, and the best of both worlds.

I at a standstill maintain my hope that dragons don't truly come into the spotlight until half-way through the Main Quest, and up until then it’s just trying to reunite Skyrim and end the civil war. That way it’s simpler to ignore the main quest, because your character doesn't necessarily know regarding the impending end of the world. That way you don't feel rushed into doing the main quest until you've previously played it for a while.

I think the reason Morrowind felt deeper was because it was deeper. The world itself had more substance. In Morrowind there was a multitude of strange personalities that you could meet along the road, many of whom would assign you a quest of some sort or another. There were distinct geographic and cultural regions. In contrast, Cyrodiil is one giant forest, and truly there isn't much to see between cities, certainly not as much as Morrowind at any rate.

I hope to see something like that, so that you were on your own, stumbling to the initiative quests of the main quests on your own, while you are drawn into the civil war, and tribal conflicts, or you manage to discover and climb those steps up to the throat of the world. But if you manage to avoid all that intrigue, then after a few levels or after some events, you could be approached mysteriously and would be talked by a person that would initiate your pilgrimage to the thousands steps ramp up the throat of the world.

I personally would like to start the game with nothing more than a suggestion that the main quest exists. The other reason that Morrowind felt good was that at the beginning of the main quest, Caius Cosades essentially tells you to do your own thing and get a feel for how the game works, and then come back to him. Whereas after delivering the amulet to Jauffre, he sent you off to Kvatch, where you rescued Martin, were told to take him to Cloud Ruler temple and so on... There was a lot more momentum in Oblivion, a lot more "Do this, now", and seeing as the game was supposed to be open world, which was a bad thing for me, personally. Others may and I expect will disagree with this opinion, but that is how I personally establish the game, to the point that I said "Sod you Martin, sort out your own problems" and not at all actually completed the Main Quest in my first 3 characters.

There are many of good points, and I completely agree that it would be better for the main quest in Skyrim to have much less of a 'do these, NOW' kind of vibe. In general, there was an attention to detail in Morrowind that didn't seem to be there is Oblivion. People in towns with their own agendas, localized political disputes, arguments over religion. It simply felt that there was more of a living, breathing world going on around you. The world actually doesn't revolve around you - at least it managed to create that illusion.