Thread: Morrowind in The Elder scrolls

Morrowind in The Elder scrolls

I read a lot of posts asking how different aspects, like combat and magic, of Elder Scrolls games should be handled in future installments and there's always at least one person who has to chime in with the ubiquitous "well, I think they should go back to how Morrowind did it." Maybe I'm just too familiar with Oblivion but I really have to disagree on this. As someone who is trying to play through Morrowind right now I can safely say that I dislike everything else about this game other than the creature design and the plot. The only thing that should ever make the transition over from Morrowind to Skyrim or Bretonville or Orcapalooza is the genuine feeling of being lost in an alien land with it's own strange culture. This is the only aspect of the game that has kept me playing it because the gameplay itself is pretty horrible.

Re: Morrowind in The Elder scrolls

Let me guess, you liked the crappy combat, non-regenerating magicka, lack of skill perks, no quest compass, failing casting spells, dumber AI, and useless weapons like spears and crossbows. See how that works? Both games have their flaws and I don't ever remember saying that Oblivion was perfect. The point of posting this was just to say that the designers should never go back to how an older game did things for the sake of nostalgic players. Morrowind just happened to be a great example because everyone here treats it like some kind of untouchable jewel no future game could ever improve upon.

That's the thing though. Stop focusing on what's already been done and try improving upon it by coming up with something new. If they were to "take things from all past TES games" then you have no room to make drastic improvements, you're just polishing up mechanics that were fundamentally flawed to begin with and distancing yourself from new players who haven't had ten other Elder Scrolls games to get used to the contrived, outdated mechanics older players have come to accept because they can't think of anything better without going backwards.

Actually, yes I did like the non-regenerating magicka, lack of skill perks, no quest compass, fizzled spells. Especially the lack of a compass. I seriously hated that in Oblivion. NPC gives me vague directions, BAM! Suddenly I know exactly where to go, right. I will give you there were definitely a few things Morrowind had that Oblivion actually improved upon. I personally liked the roll-to-hit method of Morrowind, but it just doesn't really translate all that well in a first-person RPG as well as it does an isometric one.

It's neat that you liked all that garbage but some people (like me) don't. The whole point to a sequel or new installment of a game series is to find out both the "You" and "Me" will like and incorporate it into something new. If you keep relying on older models of doing things then eventually Two Worlds will become a competent game because they kept changing and evolving while the Elder Scrolls stayed the same.

You know what would be a sweet fast travel system? Keep Oblivions "Map Markers" but include a cost in that! You choose a location and it costs a certain amount depending on how far away your going, the weight your carrying and the time it takes. I am going to disagree with keeping that part of Morrowinds lock pick system. Its to bad we can combine having a lick pick minigame with aims and different lock pick qualities. Yeah, that would be better, at least. Something like a fantasy taxi service. I'd say traveling merchant/peasant carts you could snag a ride on for a fee would be nice, but I know people would so much about there never being enough of them.