Thread: The Elder Scrolls:What made Morrowind special?

The Elder Scrolls:What made Morrowind special?

I am just sad for the Morrowind faction if they didn't feel the wonder of discovery when playing Oblivion but I don't think they all speak with one voice. Oblivion was my first so I had the wonder of discovery without it being colored by any previous experience. As for things feeling foreign the Planes of Oblivion were very foreign and I don't know if there was anything like them in Morrowind yet because I'm not that far in. I know Morrowind is a huge leap forward from Daggerfall but that was true from Arena to Daggerfall too. I'm just glad I found this ride and whatever the devs want to do is pretty much fine by me because I want to experience it. Don't take all the criticism without a grain of salt, Todd. That's the nature of online forums. Multitudes who love the games don't post.

Re: The Elder Scrolls:What made Morrowind special?

Of course the Devs all of a sudden hate oblivion that's how PR works, you saw how bad your last game was even though people were pointing out flaws for years, and then you say but i "fixed" in this installment, aren't we awesome? Oblivion was made to be accessible to a FPS crowd, to draw in the fluster load of money circulating out in the market, Beth wanted some of that and twisted the next installment to suite that, 5 Million sales seem to confirm this. Oblivion wasn't bad it just trapped in comparison to morrowind, take away the natural given that is Tech and gameplay, Morrowind would still run circles around Oblivion, period.

Do you expect people to respect the opinion of someone who believes their own opinion is the infallible truth? No, not everyone shares your opinion. I personally feel that Oblivion's quest design big points to the quest design, gameworld, and faction plots are better than Morrowind's while my favoring of two games' various little mechanics is split between the two. I just felt more at home when playing Morrowind; Oblivion was great and it made some great improvements but it just didn't have the dark and whimsical feel that Morrowind did.

Morrowind felt forlorn, and that element was taken out of oblivion but oblivions perfect western European fantasy land was great with helping to set the mood of the crisis because you were able to see a contrast between the 2 lands people have legitimate concerns. I thought Oblivion was fantastic - but if you played Morrowind how can you honestly argue that it didn’t have a more wondrous and magnificent feel? The world was shrouded in mystery Oblivion? Not so much. Shivering Isles kind of make up for it in my opinion though.