Thread: Hunted: The Demon's Forge: Need a new art style

Hunted: The Demon's Forge: Need a new art style

You know a modern day co-op Golden Axe style game sounds like it might be fun. But you guys truly require a new art style. You have got a bad case of "gray and brown" it is that I think we all know can kill of any interest in a game. You should seriously consider a major change, what the guys in Borderlands did. As the main theme of this implies "Be remarkable or be invisible!" and right now you guys seem invisible. All those "Wow, I've never heard of this game until now!" comments, the press briefs and gamers wondering if it's just going to be "Gears with Swords and Bows" (a direct quote actually).

Re: Hunted: The Demon's Forge: Need a new art style

The screenies seem good to me. Design looks very, like everything else, but that's not a bad thing. It is to say just about everything is looking good these days, so the gameplay had better rock or it will just fall on its face like lots of other games with beautiful art design. I wouldn't worry too much about that department. Certainly don't think we need too many Borderlands, with what you mention being possibly one of only a few things that makes Borderlands worth a go.

I just anxious about whether or not the characters are fat with details, and the world is strong sufficient to hold them up, and the story is grand sufficient to push them forward, and the gameplay is fluid sufficient to give it all wings. Announcement was just what? Ten or so days ago. Obviously lots of gamers won't know anything about it up till now, that lack of knowledge is not a reflection on the design making the game invisible, though.

Successful Devs coming off the back of games that quite much define recycled 'other original games' by way of design. Then in promoting a title that is a lot like a lot of games, they change the design sufficient to give it an edge? I can see how that works. "It's a bad thing because we went a dissimilar way. Here's why going a different way is a good thing." = sold units. I get where you are coming from, but reading one article that defends a design choice for a game that relies on that as a selling point, is no way to go about disusing the design of the majority of games. Personally, I think a photo-realistic Crackdown 2 would kick the knackers off what's at present in production.

I like photo-realistic graphics on larger than life characters, with great character models and superb animation. Or characters with extremities beyond the norm, super slim gorgeous looking elves which should break their spines, and guys running around in power armor in a dark world that gives me the creeps but they don't seem to mind as they gun their way through it. That .PDF contained art work from some studios that have been decades in perfecting their product. IE the Warhammer 40,000 universe! Nobody can look at the catalogue of artwork from Games Workshop and sneer at it, and call it brown. Rather, they can look at a catalogue of video games that have patently ripped off the design of the Warhammer verse.

I am all for cool style and something different in games; however, to say that every game should all of a sudden go to something like borderlands or cell-shading style I think is a bad idea. I for one like the art style that seems to be being used in this game and don't think they should change it for games that are meant to be dungeon crawlers. These types of games are supposed to be gray, gritty, and dirty looking, to change that to be bright vibrant and all happy and cartooned I think might ruin the experience and immersion/feel of the game. I am not saying another style is per se a bad idea or can't be done, I am just frightened the results will leave much to be desired.

I agree as underground places might not have a lot of color, and therefore a muted color palette is suitable for a dungeon-crawler esc game. However, I think it would be nice if the game did have some areas or aspects that were vibrant - all the more to emphasize the gloominess of the dungeon/cave/whatever. Humans like color; we try to make everything colorful. Granted, the human eye can detect hundreds of shades of grey, but that doesn't mean I want to.

I thought that the black and white color scheme of Nazi-controlled areas of the game Saboteur really worked well. The Nazi symbolism was still red, and searchlights and such were still yellow, but the lack of any other color really made the Nazis stand out and made you feel a lot more like the oppressed citizen you were meant to be, not some sort of liberator. If this game utilizes their color scheme correctly, I think it can definitely work out well.