Thread: Computer turned off while playing The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Computer turned off while playing The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

I was playing with maybe 30 minutes and the computer shut down. Is this an overheating problem? If so how I can fix this? I have water cooling for my cpu and fan registration that came with my computer. My specs are GTX 460. I am using Phenom X4 965 II with Windows 7 in the company of 4 GB of RAM. Nothing overclocked. Also this is the first time this has happened. I have not played this game a lot (still in the preface to the patio). I can play in high with SSAO and ubersampling out at 30-50 fps. someone be acquainted with what the difficulty possibly will be? Is it just a onetime thing or I can have this happen another time?

Re: Computer turned off while playing The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Hello according to my knowledge it happen because of either overheating or power supply is insufficient. Download a program for CPU temperature, and something like EVGA Precision. See if you're overheating. It happened to me several times, now I'm going through all my shit TOC trying to find the problem. Definitely not a heat problem and I'm starting to think that not even a stability problem because I have heard from others without obtaining TOC accidents.

Hi thanks for your reply to my question. Well, I'm only around 50-66 degrees Celsius according to EVGA precision. I do not think that's bad? Also, how I can check what power I have? I think it's around 800 watts, but probably not accurate. Is there any other solution to solve this problem? Even dealing with another power source, but the same question comes over and over again. I'm out of ideas now. Please help me. I'm waiting for your replies. Thanks.

Their 50-66 idle right now with water cooling? That does not sound good or right at all. This can be done. Google "Prime95" and download it, run it and make a "small FFT" stress test. This will stress test your processor, let it run for one hour (usually 12 hours recommended, but also just do an hour). basically you have to Watch your temperature as this happens, and if it keep going over 85 at that time you have to shut down the test and think about fixing the water cooling, because that would mean that something is wrong with it. If you get any errors or if you’re PC itself off, then you have a problem.

When using EVGA Precision, have you had the game running in the background? You are interested in temperatures under load, not during the resting state. You could try a Crysis 1 and Crysis 2 and see if it happens there too far, or only happens at The Witcher 2. I toned down my clocks (200 MHz CPU, 400 MHz RAM, and 20 MHz for the GPU) and I'm not getting freezes over. It turns out that my OC was not very stable when it hits the fan. Since you do not know anything about equipment I think something is probably overclocked without their knowledge and this game does not play fair with it.

I am with the same configuration and no problem with me. That is fine with overclocking. When overclocking only ensures that the stress tests of the centers with the configuration of at least 3-4 hours, just to see if it is stable. On behalf of processor utilize Prime95. For GPU I suggest MSI Kombustor. Everything in my pc is overclocked, GPU / CPU / Ram and the game runs fine as long. Try this first check your power supply. Turn off your computer open the case of verification of power supply. Want to know how many watts it is. If less than 500 that's your problem. I think the graphics card requires at least 600. If greater than the processor or graphics card is bad.

Its GPU is definitely not as good processor. How many GHz are the processor and the number of cores that is? That could be your problem. Ignore that I have found to be a good processor. You should not have these problems, but the heat is definitely too high and if you are water cooling something is not right. My guess is the cooling system is malfunctioning causing overheating, or is the processor or GPU is failing. Afterburner will allow you to see the temps in the game.

I also am having overheating problems while playing the Witcher 2. This happens ONLY when plying this game. I play all other games under max settings with no problems at all. The most recent are Dragon Age 2, Fallout: New Vegas, Oblivion (With about 80 Mods). It usually overheats arount 5- 10 minutes in. The most I was able to play was around 45 minutes. I have tried all settings, even Low with the same results. When I lode a savegame, my fans and system sound like they are kicking into overdrive. I have a temp monitor. All other games I stay around 50 celcius. The witcher quikly climbs to 60 then 70 and shutdown. I am not sure exactly aroud what temperature this uccurs. I thought my system was fairly well cooled. I have a gaming tower with a huge fan on top, and 5 other fans. Liquid-cooled Motherboard and Processer system, and heatsinked Ram.

Stats:

Win 7 64 Professional
    Amd Phenom 9850 Quad-Core BE Processor
    TPower n 759 Motherboard
    8192 MB RAM
    ATI Radeon 4850 HD 512
    750 Watt Power
    Last edited by Veridien; 24-05-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Hi Veridien,

I would only suggest that you will need to buy some better cooling. Don't get me wrong, but if your GPU can't handle stress it is bond to have malfunction. It will kill your gpu sooner or later as this game The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is so much demanding. You could also try to clean the card and all of the fans inside of your computer and check whether that improves something for you or not.