Thread: Being able to change Character between games in Brink

Being able to change Character between games in Brink

I find myself trying to play Free-Play. And at sometimes I find I don't even need my Engineer for a lot of missions (like Reactor). Which I then have to go Operative, then Soldier usually almost all the time causes most my teammates will be Engys or Medics? My solution, how there's a "Change Weapon/Class" button, there should be a "Change Character option". The only problem I find with this being able to work is LV gaps between players. You could be playing with all 18-20's, and then use a LV10 Character and get mauled. I just wish there was a way I could switch between games for the actual RIGHT class I need, instead of just going Operative to be the only one hacking basically, And to not have anything to defend myself with really either (Not having Caltrops', etc.)

Re: Being able to change Character between games in Brink

I think part of the game's charm is being able to develop a character based on your playing style and not what you need for such and such map. Develop a guy to do one thing well and one thing well enough, or a few things well sufficient, or take a guy and give him a specific role (for example I have a bomb squad guy that is an engineer/soldier, but just utilizes the explosives related abilities, so no turrets) and learn how to use him to help the rest of the team be what they are.

Being able to alter chars mid game would quite much overthrow any sort of hybrid builds, in which case we might as well drop the RPG element and just add the 4 classes without exp at all. Being able to change body size in the middle of a match would be odd to say the least, "damn I want that guy’s diet". Besides it would cheapen the actual choice, as people would choose whatever is best for any given situation.

Between games lets you to pick a character spec'd for an exacting map. I could spec each one of my guys for most effect on one map; my team could do the same. It won't take long before all you get on such and such map is 8 Engi/Op hybrids, or 8 medic/Engi hybrids. We're already seeing a bunch of players spacing for the best "win" ability on the most maps (lots of Engineer builds) and it leads to a lack of support characters, which then leads to very predictable play through. I think it's best the way it is now, although I could see it as an alternative in private games.

In Private Games possibly but I don’t think it would end up too well in every game mode we have here. As others have said, it's important to make players select at a few point. With Command Posts in the game the choice is no longer in Death, as is standard for other class shooters, so really, at any point in the match can you switch between the primary abilities. If you then say you can change between complete dissimilar builds of those sets (albeit only between matches) you make too much obtainable.

The leveling in this game is a character building exercise, you make a build that you split between the 4 classes, or strengthen across 2, or focus on 1, and then to play the game you're stuck with that choice. That is what makes the diversity because you're stuck with those decisions in-game. In the same lobby you won't find 2 people the similar (okay, that's a little unrealistic but it's the idea). I fear, that if you allowed pre match full character switching, builds for maps would appear, and then eventually you might as well just open all enhancements for everyone and make them base-class abilities.

Before a match starts, you can change class, weapons, and everything except your appearance and ability customizations. That's fine, but, what about giving us the ability to swap body types in the pre-mission screen? Not a great deal, but it would be nice. Also, Heavy isn't necessary to be a good Medic - I'm a good Light Medic (and Operative). And Heavy Operatives are as well a good class/size combination - ever had a friend show up at an objective where half your team is camped, then turn into a massively buffed enemy with a Maximus? I have, and he cleared the room pretty fast.

I just vote to yes and here be my reason why. I have three characters each specializing in dissimilar classes so far. Each character also has a specific body type that helps with their role. My main is a medium Engi/ soldier, and then I have a heavy medic / soldier, and finally a light oper/ medic. Being able to just switch my body types in between games would be only partly helpful because you at a standstill have to play with the classes that character is focused on. So my Engi/ soldier may be able to become a heavy or light from a medium but that doesn't really help in his role for the team.