Thread: What is outside the Ark in Brink

What is outside the Ark in Brink

For what campaign Brink has I think it is amazing, the story is made up of not only the missions but everything in the Dossier. What I believe is great about Brinks story is that it is so clouded in mystery that at the end of the campaign it gave me such a feeling of suspense that left me thinking: 'What now?' I've made this thread to discuss possibilities of what does or doesn't lay outside the Ark and what could possibly be next for Brink.

Re: What is outside the Ark in Brink

I don't they mean savages as in beat their chest and rip off the heads of men kind of savages. More thugs with guns kind of savages who would kill for the shoes off your feet. Chen is disillusioned by himself. He thinks he made the Ark what it is, that it was all his doing. He's not interesting is social freedom he's interested in power, power for himself. I could see what's her name, Barbara whatever, going crazy and ordering the Security to purge the Guests from the Ark going over Mokena’s head doing so.

The founders are too afraid, their like North Korea, believing everyone else is savages. Any country which goes into isolation is doomed to fail after a long period of time. It’s ok for them to be in isolation, and to be on the safe side, it might be better to wait. But, they don’t have time to wait. The ARC is dying / sinking. If they don’t find land soon, their all be doomed, and who knows how long it will take!? So they can’t afford wasting time. The ARC has sufficient military power as shown, organization as well and technology to boot!

The arc will be the capital, and the more they conquer the more powerful and stabilized the world will be. When they have sufficient land and control, they can start boosting their research, copy-pasta their self-sustaining facilities, distillation plants and make more food and water. As for many, this is all people want and need. The more clean water they can make the even more influential they will be and more they can convert to joining them. Until they reach a size significant enough that savages wont dare doing head-on attacks as they are way too powerful and big.

Didn’t the audios, logs and pre mission, say that a team had been sent, but they were cruelly tortured for the arks location because the land become run by savage thugs each struggling to meek out an existence? The ark itself is doomed to breakdown because Chen won’t tell them about it slowly falling apart & because he’s letting the R strip down its essential machinery to make ammo & guns :s Whereas the S won’t tell the R about their failed trip & lack of civilization because it would kill all hope & cause panicked riots. Kind of damned if you do & damned if you don’t actually.

I don't think the Founders are that awful. They just want to live and let live. They didn't have to let the Guests in, they could have sunk their boats and live in isolation. The Guests, rather Chen, is because the most problems by starting this mistaken revolution. The Founders and Mokoena have been trying to reach a peaceful resolution, even compromise, but Chen isn't interested in peace, he's interested in power. He practically says so himself.

These are all outstanding points. But we all must agree, using any of this material would make for the majority epic DLC. As for what I think, I think conflict with the inlanders/savages would spark quite the story. Perhaps, the team wasn't torn apart or tortured or whatever. Perhaps somehow the mainland went well at re-establishing itself and once the SEC. team got there they didn't want to/couldn't let the land. Unlikely, yes. Interesting plot twist, probably.

If you wish to, you can regain fresh water out of salt water with minimal technology. You need the ability to produce a fire hotter than 100ºC, a reasonably solid material that doesn't burn or deform at those temperatures, and the ability to shape that material. Considering all the requirements remained readily available in the dark ages, I'd be very worried about the state of the world if they've lost those options in Brink's world. I'm more than a little surprised none of the Ark's "guests" have thought of doing something like this to supplement their rations, actually.

Technically the Romans could have just put some seawater into a shield and let it evaporate off to reclaim the salt and yet salt was imported from far away and worth a lot of money (IIRC people used to be paid in salt). They had the technology they just didn't have the know-how. Look at a lot of refugee camps and 3rd world settlements (I used to live in South Africa) and you will see people drinking from the most disgusting polluted "streams" (which they as well utilize as their toilet) simply because they do not know better. I can completely see refugees on the ark trying to get some ancient piece of tech working to try and desalinate some water but simply not having the engineers or knowhow.