Thread: Why would valve not want to share sales data?

Why would valve not want to share sales data?

I want to more detail that someone mentioned about steam tenders and how they would throw out numbers or something. I am not a business person, I slept through something like this in school, I never found a business, and you get the idea. From my point of view it seems odd that no one wants to share something like that unless there is something you do not want to reveal. As in there is a weakness that does not want revealed. Is it that steam feels unsafe by sharing its sales data?

Re: Why would valve not want to share sales data?

I guess if they Post sales data then it would reveal they are doing business, to some extent. The editors also might want the terms of these agreements which they say to keep it private. The data was useful for the people who make certain statistics of all the released games. They note down all the things i.e. about it’s released, total game sold and much more and thus from this it would be bad for them as they would not get any information from valve.

I planed to avoid buying new games on Steam. It makes no sense. Since players are like an easy target, and one day sales mean a lot to a developer / publisher, the valve suggests that fact does not mean anything to them is pure crap. Why do not you want ALL the information you can get. Something is out of the land of steam. If there is anything in the data that would harm them already know. Valve No poor people on these data, and try to make sense, every day.

The point is, it is extremely important for a publisher or developer to see how well everyone is doing. The important thing is to know exactly how your game is doing - why is climbing and the reason for the fall along with it’s daily sales, its daily oscillation, awards for the number three online campaign. This is to provide publishers of all your data. They simply are not giving to everyone else. That means that EA does not know the details of Activision and do not know of any other developers. Hence it would be a privacy maintained by not showing all their data.

I also believe that to be an exact reason of valve not showing their sales data. I think that it would be a developer’s choice to decide whether to show the details of the games sold, and not of valve’s. But I guess there must be a contract between valve and developers so that valve having highest authority to decide all the decisions. I think every competitor should show the details of there activity and thus it would let every one to know there status.

I'm sure you do. I think one of the main points is that they do not want their competitors to be doing the same, as this may give clues on how to compete more effectively with steam. Steam is not unique, most of the major means of digital distribution are notoriously cautious about sales. Sometimes an indie dev provide some more details about Steam sales figures, which shed light on how discounts affect sales figures, but they never reveal his / off valves (probably if they did would be a blacklist service), it would be interesting to see how the cuts differ from time indies and major publishers (because I imagine it would), but without some inside information is something that we'll never know.