Thread: From where the guns come in Brink?

From where the guns come in Brink?

I was just wondering, if the Ark was designed to be a prototype to study reusable energy and the like, where did all the guns come from? I can see some handguns coming in with the refugees. Same with the Security, they would have a stock of handguns for standard law enforcement, maybe one or two light rifles for shotguns or SMGs, but then where did all the mini guns, grenade launchers, assault rifles and explosives come from? I am not expecting anyone to answer this, i just want to see how the debate plays out.

Re: From where the guns come in Brink?

I am quite sure the Security was a original part of the ARK and not just formed after the refugees arrived. But also it does seem very odd for them to have miniguns and grenade launchers lying around. Well, the Founders maybe knew that if armed strife was to happen, they needed their soldiers decked to the teeth with weapons, so they obtained weapons of all different colors and sizes?

The Ark also had the technology to make a nuclear reactor from scratch, I don't think machining some guns is all that impractical. As other people have said, there aren't many materials in guns that are difficult to obtain, the most important part is just the precision you make them with. The biggest question would be what they are using for gun powder, as most of them use some petroleum based ingredients, but it IS a giant research lab, so they could figure it out.

They'd have pistols, SMGs, some assault rifles, shotguns and the like right from the start, just for security and riot control. They'd make more, bigger guns from spare parts, and get more shipped in from the mainland as the situation required. And if refugees arrived, then couldn't they have brought guns? You can accept homemade bullets in games like Metro 2033, so why not here? At least in Brink they have the excuse of science labs and machinery workshops right from the start.

The refugees still make up part of the general population. It's not like it went from 5000 to 50000 overnight. They would probably add security as necessary. I would think at first, as people started arriving and seeking refuge, they would be cycled in to the general populous and lead a normal life among the others already living on the Ark. And you're also assuming that you'd need some kind of past experience to work security for the Ark, or that all security positions were designed to be combat intensive, or that everyone fighting on the security side was a trained soldier and not just a civilian who took up arms to help defend the Ark.

I don't think it's like that of course, the majority of the resistance are refugees, but I can see why certain people of the original 5000 want to join the resistance. It is impossible if no one from them want to get off the ark, and undertake a mission to reach land. The same goes for the other side. There certainly are refugees who rather live their lives on the Ark with scarce resources, rather than taking the risk to go and look for land.

They were most likely shipped in from the mainland. Also, since The Ark was a essentially a research facility, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a secret section used to design weapons - most likely funded by the government. But for what reason would they have weapon-research on an artificial island which is almost exclusively designed to be self-sufficient?