Thread: Is it easy to level up in Brink?

Is it easy to level up in Brink?

Being an older gamer I find fun in the time it takes to level up. I feel it helps you/us the players to learn our class more, the game mechanics and mostly teamwork. How is leveling in this game? I hear there are 20 levels total. I truly hope it takes some time to get max level IE not possible to hit level 20 in 7days playing 24h a day.

Re: Is it easy to level up in Brink?

Anyways, it shouldn't be painstakingly long to level to 20 with the proper group of people. That or just play in single player mode. Brink is your oyster. Unless you’re allergic to seafood. Then Brink is your home away from home! We know that playing both campaigns will not max your level, but will get to around 14. So it should take less than a week for the 'average gamer' i.e. if play every chance you get.

There was some math done on the SD forums. Its 300,000k xp to level to 20 (That’s what the chart in the strategy guide says). The videos I've seen lean between the 2k-4k per game and last 10-15mins. So estimates are between 20-40hrs. Depending on luck and what not. So I’m saying about 30. Personally I've only seen 2k-2.5k in 10min games, but I probably haven't watched as much full play videos as others.

Wish it took a tad longer. It's like going on a 10 x XP rate private server on WoW. Sure, you level quickly, but whereas in WoW it's completely not legitimate, and It certainly won't feel that way for me in Brink. Not like it will turn me off, it just seems that perks that change mechanics should be worth more time. Well, the slightly good news is that if you respect, you lose a level and get to regain it all over again! Did that make you feel better? How about this?

There are 3 styles of games I should mention.
    Games that have progress based on difficult accomplishments, grinding, and how the player is acting.

The third one mentioned does not exist in multiplayer competitive games much. Matchmaking is an attempt to at least match skill levels, but no matchmaking system has truly worked so far and the overwhelming complexity of the game is still left unchecked. A game that truly gives you the exact amount of challenge to skill and intelligence according to how you do needs to be made.

Grinding is in mmorpgs, and cod4 introduced leveling and unlocks without increasing your effectiveness as rpgs do. You progress at a preset speed based on a repeated activity (primarily kills, but also quests in mmorpgs and challenges in cod4) This style ignores what the player needs and has a general assumption on how fast players improve ON AVERAGE. Expert players at games in general would be fine with starting out with everything and may be bored by a forced grind.

Difficult accomplishments are very frustrating and usually result in giving up. Being trapped because you're unable to perform at a certain level of skill or intelligence is a feeling of entrapment that anyone without persistence and the willingness to practice is not willing to accept. More people need patience and sacrifice, but a game that tests and adjusts to a person's level of persistence would easily solve this problem.

We have yet to see adaptive gameplay that truthfully examines the player's actions and adjusts to the exact settings they need. Until then, you'll just have to have your own persistence to work through either grinding or difficulty. Only claims of adaptive gameplay exist in games today, but the technology and design is ready now for whoever chooses to use it.

I'm not really a fan of leveling, especially in my FPS. All in all, leveling is mostly a tired concept that has no place in most games and only serves as a forced pacing mechanism that is ultimately replaced at the level cap with something else entirely. I can accept leveling in Brink for the sole fact that it breaks everyone up by rank, so we're not (likely) to see a level 4 going up against a level 20. Sure, the level 4 has every chance to win; the level 20 just has more abilities/weaponry at his disposal.

The problem with CoD is that you unlock a specific weapon/perk per level instead of an unlock point. This provides a rather large advantage to players that are at certain levels. If CoD allowed you to choose what to unlock every level instead of forcing it upon you the game would be quite different in terms of balance. Remember the heart rate monitors that were rampant for the first few weeks and had no way to counter until level approx 30? That's not balanced or fair.