Thread: Operative is better than Soldier in Brink

Operative is better than Soldier in Brink

I recently decided to play as an Operative rather than a Soldier, as I think overall it better suits my play style, but I was wondering if they would still be reasonably efficient in combat. Seeing as health and weapons both depend on body type, I don't think there would be much difference while in a firefight. Just checking. Also, I was wondering what would be a good Primary weapon + attachment(s) and a good Secondary + attachment(s). Keep in mind I will be playing medium so it could go up to assault rifles. You can see my old lead-out from when I was going to be a soldier in my sig, and I was wondering what I should change to reflect my new role as an Operative.

Re: Operative is better than Soldier in Brink

I'm planning on playing an Operative as well, and I'm wondering about the weapon load outs that are available to me. I will probably try playing with long rifle and a pistol at least, the basic sniper setup. But I'm wondering if it's possible to use long rifle and a shotgun, or does shotgun not count as a secondary weapon? Is there a site/list which shows which weapons are available to each body type?

Ideally, an operative should be a light build. Yes you have the lowest health out of every other build but don't forget you can get a health buff from a medic. Operatives should be light so they are able to use parkour moves so that there are no limits how to get around the map, especially if you’re trying to infiltrate the enemy base.

Another thing you seem confused on is that, even though an operative can disguise himself as a member one the other team. As soon as you engage someone your disguise goes away, doesn't matter if you have silencers or not. As soon as you start shooting your disguise goes away.

i really don't think a medium build is ideal for an operative, because as stated before you won't be able to do ALL the parkour moves, you'll only be able to vault and slide. Can't do wall jumps, which puts you at a disadvantage when trying to infiltrate the enemy's base. Since you’re going to be doing a lot of CQC, SMG's are ideal. Also, if you do need to engage enemies at a distance, light builds can carry long rifles on them.

I’m trying to have as little attachment as possible when I’m running operative, except for magazine attachments. Quick weapon switches and reloads are very useful behind enemy lines. Mainly it was the sneaking behind enemy lines and dealing damage from where they least expect it. It was also partially that I disliked and was worried I could not live up to some of the Soldier's responsibilities such as dispensing ammo. I'm aware of this. I just think Silencers would be good for the Operative regardless.

If you’re an operative and plan on using Disguise, then be a light and learn to mimic mediums and heavies. This way if you disguise as light, you can blend in perfectly. If you disguise as a mid or heavy, then you can at least pretend to be them. and if you attack, take damage, interact, or are seen while disguising, then you lose your disguise, so use stealth and try to blend in like a chameleon, or as i call them, blending' lizards! i know, stupid. Just remember, you can be a med or heavy op if you want, but light has the most options for Disguise ability.

Why I plan to play Operative. I have always been a fan of sneaky playstile, I mostly played as Covert Ops in ET and I've been a Quake 3 CPMA trickjumper since 2003. So I enjoy stealth and fluid movements and I've always been a fan of snipers. I know sniping won’t be a super effective play style in Brink, but I need to see how well it works. Combat sniping is fine if it's not stupidly weak.

Wasn’t trying to be rude man just telling you there is no real reason to ask other people what weapon you should use when which once best suits you comes down to your playstyle and preferences.

As your are playing as an Operative now you probably would be better suited using a weapon built for CQC with a pistol as a sidearm so you could have a knife in the offhand. On top of this you would probably want to equip attachments and abilities to help with stealth making it easier to flank and blend into the enemy ranks easier.

At the same time though it really depends on how you are going to play Operative. You could be a frontline Op spotting enemy Ops and mines and buffing Command Posts ect or a Stealthy one who flanks behind disguises and causes chaos within their ranks. Hence why I was saying which weapon, attachments ect really comes down to your preference and playstyle.