Thread: Tactics of Brink

Tactics of Brink

I know 6 Tactics in Brink
    1) Bunny Hopping
    - Originally created in FPS's for the PC, used to help avoid being shot in a time where precision meant almost everything. (From Quake and No One Live's Forever. Used as a final jump to avoid a headshot from a Pistol from Halo 1, called the "ghandi Jump") Also used to help increase speed in shooters such as Quake.
    2) Strafing
    - Ties in with bunny hoping, helps avoid being shot (halo and counter strike) Edit: not as cheap as some other tactics, but still separates the skill gap of players.
    3) Drop Shooting
    - Originally from COD series, helps you duck under bullets, can also be used as a crouch to avoid a headshot (Crouch from counter strike and Halo)
    4) Camping
    - Originally from Counter Strike, "It's a legitimate strategy!" (Originally from Quake according to Puka)
    5) Spawn Camping
    - Originally from Halo (from my knowledge) Used to get a first shot on an enemy as soon as they spawn in. There may have been spawning camping in quake and unreal tournament, but I'm not sure.
    6) Strong Side
    - Originally from halo looks down while running away to avoid getting head shorted.
    Now, most of these tactics are considered "cheap" to a general audience mainly because they don't know how to properly use them. When used right, enemies will more than likely "rage" from the game or call you a "hacker". However, when it comes to a "pro" look at it, these tactics take skill and add a large measure of degree to a game. It's what separate seasoned vets to wimpy 12 year olds. There the reason why game's that "take skill" are so well respected. Even though you may see these tactics as "cheap", just know that they work and are used to help separate the skill gap of players. These tactics along side with map control have been a large part of gaming and should be respected as such.

Re: Tactics of Brink

Ok wow what? I literally just made an account because i had to reply. This hurt my head so much reading it. Bunny hopping, Ok fine. Strafing, a cheap tactic? What? Do you stand still when you shoot? That is normal movement there’s nothing remotely "cheap" about it. Drop shooting, sure, ok, whatever. Camping. Well, it depends. Many people confuse "camping" with "guarding the freaking base" and start to complain like children "coz u won’t let me capture teh flag!" Also, camping did not originate from counter strike; try going back to the days of Quake. Spawn camping: See above, goes way farther back then halo. Strong Siding - Sure i guess you could call this "cheap" whereas i would call you "a tard for not firing back while running away". Not trying to be a dick here but you sound like a mid 90's kid.

Strafing was amazing in counter strike because of how the hit boxes worked, they would literally lag behind the player and unless you knew where to shoot, you wouldn't even touch them. As for bunny hopping, it was king in a game called No One Lives Forever, where you could constantly jump up and down without screwing up your aim, people would constantly shoot above and below you and didn't know what to do. Best example is Quake tho, this game had rediculously fast speeds and weapons that depended on accuracy. Bunny hopping and strafing around the map would help keep you alive longer in this insanely fast passed game. If you weren't doing it, you would lose 0-100 every time. I'm not exactly sure which of these tactics will be employed in Brink, but learn to use them because in a game with ridiculous amounts of rounds to kill people, Accuracy will be pretty important and if you know how to dip and dodge, you may just rule as king.

The only tactics that could be considered cheap are drastically overpowered/broken features that get used improperly. I.E. Quickscoping in modern warfare (Or really 50% of CoD featurs could be considered cheap, as they are more often than not overpowered/broken, or just plain unstoppable. AC-130 and a nuke anybody?). Things such as jumping are not cheap, because you're using the jump feature for what it was meant to be unused for... and that’s jumping. The same applies to crouching, running, and even drop shooting. (As much as i hate drop shooting, it is a legitimate feature in CoD that is available to everyone, so you cannot consider it cheap, just really annoying.) And even camping is legitimates, because it is smart in its own right. "Hey, if i stay in this area, i can't get flanked / i get an advantage over other players who come near me, so i better hold this position down"
    It is something everyone can do, and that is why things like grenades and S.M.A.R.T. exist, they are anti-camping measures. And as obnoxious as spawn camping can be, we know that won't be an issue in brink so i honestly see no potential issues.
    I would honestly be more worried about defending teams of engineers planting minefields outside you're spawn, and throwing turrets all over an objective point, or teams of medics traveling together in a large group constantly reviving each other. Better make sure you work with your team, because these are the strategies that will destroy the want to be bunny hoppers and drop shooters.

Bunny Hopping, Drop Shooting, and Strafing take advantage of unrefined mechanics. I have no problem with them being done if the player doing them suffers the appropriate penalties for moving in various ways. Spawn Camping is shameful. Camping can be a good tactic when it's used appropriately and can drive people mad when it's abused. Strong Side I have never actually heard of, but that's just good sense. Duck your head if you’re running away.

Ok here, i'll also explain why almost none of these are cheap.

1: Bunny Hopping - Ok I'll give you this one.

2: Strafing - That's like saying running while shooting is cheap, or aiming down the sight is cheap.

3: Drop Shotting - Anybody would not like to get hit by bullets that much so of course they're going to drop to the floor OR STRAFE!

4: Camping - In real war, and even videogames, this is a tactic. It's meant to be used for objective *cough cough Brink cough.
    guarding and as Puka said, it's only frowned upon by little kids who don't know how to play so they whine about not getting the obj.

5: Spawn Camping - Ok, I'll give you that one as well.

6: Strong Side - Never heard of this one, also makes no sense. When you look down while running, you won't see what's in front of you so you could both run into a wall or an enemy and die anyways, plus it makes you look [censored] because most people are aiming for the biggest part of the character which is the torso.

Yeah defending is not camping, hanging out at the base on capture the flag to stop enemies stealing the damn flag is defending. Standing in a nook in the hallway and faceshotting everyone who runs past is camping. The first is good strategy the second is just poor map design and a pathetic player. The second example has little hope of happening in brink as said face shot will only annoy the other player and even if the first downs the other player he's only attracted the medics who may have Gatling guns and grenade launchers for just such occasions.