Thread: Will Brink the future of FPS?

Will Brink the future of FPS?

How do you guys think BRINK will affect the FPS genre? I don’t know if it will or not. It depends on how successful it is. If it’s as good as it looks and as they say it is, then there is a good chance that it will change all subsequent FPS titles. I don’t think it will topple the COD juggernaut (although I wish it would) but if it is successful I think it will send Activision and the other large companies into a scramble. I am hoping this is what will happen because i think it will force them to improve their games and not expect us to just buy them because it has the title Call of Duty or Battlefield.

Re: Will Brink the future of FPS?

Seems like it’s going to change what most game companies put into their FPS games. COD has campers that sit in one spot and shoot you as soon as they see you. With Brink though it's more of "I see you, but I'm taking a different route to kill you." since you apparently have to keep moving because nearly everyone can take a different route to reach you. Hopefully, Brink makes the other companies come up with new things. No soldier is going to just climb through a window, if they have the opportunity, they'll find a route no one thinks of, I do so all the time when playing any other FPS (and laugh when people start looking for a teammate that suddenly went missing). Here's to Brink and the developers!

• DOOM gave birth to the FPS, with its simplistic yet never-before-imagined graphics.
    • Quake revolutionized the FPS, being the first multiplayer FPS, and inventing DM, TDM, and CTF.
    • Team Fortress revolutionized the FPS, inventing the headshot and the player class.
    • Counter Strike revolutionized the FPS, and has been the face of FPS for many years, until.
    • Call of Duty revolutionized the FPS, introducing experience, levels, perk and weapon customization to the FPS.
    • Now it's BRINK's turn.

It may not topple the military fps that is CoD, but I'm kind of glad about that. I really don't like the community for CoD, and avoiding any spill over from them would gradually take its toll. Even if it isn't the top shooter, I think it's going to change the way that Activision thinks, and possibly other companies as well. Activision seems to be the first thing that comes to mind when I think 'clone', because every CoD really seems to be the same. Even if Brink doesn't top everything, it's still going to be great and SD will still see a great turnout.

I forgot about Wolfenstein. Many people credit DOOM as the first FPS, so I got confused. Team Fortress came out 1996. Counter Strike came out 1999. I'm not sure about this, replying only on Wikipedia, so I'll just go with you. I do remember knowing that Quake was one of the first if not the first games playable over the internet, being a revolution in itself - the internet was a new concept at the time.

I was about to post the history lesson, but you beat me to it so.
    And this is all "FPS" as we currently know it, as there were many shooting games attempted from a first person view prior to Wolfenstein. There were also many others in between that have done a great deal for the genre; every game that does something different and succeeds makes a mark on the genre. I think it's a little naive to think that Brink is
    1) Hugely new and never before seen stuff and
    2) Going to cause a drastic change in the face of FPS games.

While I loved TF it was hardly a popular game and I wouldn't go so far as to say it revolutionized the FPS. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure they didn't invent the headshot though they could very well have invented classes. How exactly did CS revolutionize FPS? It was a great game but it didn't exactly change anything about the genre. I'm almost positive they weren't the first FPS to use experience or levels. Perks are just like abilities which have been in other games. Weapon customization has been in others, but not to the point CoD brought.

A trend i have noticed in the past few years is your character customization, usually very pinner, but brink is bringing the fps genre into the MMO arena in terms of customizing your looks. Now i know it’s unimportant in FPS as u don’t look at your characters while playing, and does not affect gameplay, but let’s face it, its fun. I think the FPS genre will start to take notice. Also I’m hoping the game type of brink will be featured in more games, brinks not the first to use an assault game type, but I’m certainly glad to see it coming back. DM TDM and CTF get old.