Thread: How to split screen on two monitors in Portal 2

How to split screen on two monitors in Portal 2

I am looking for a way to get split screen on two different monitors while playing Portal 2. I and my friends are playing the game and the only things which we are able to manage in an additional monitor. Two can play at a time in split screen on the same monitor but if other want to join then the same is quiet not possible. I found some hacks on the same but those really does not work at all. How to do the same. Does anyone has tried this, this is really gonna mess up my resolutions settings, if the same is not done properly. Thanks.

Re: How to split screen on two monitors in Portal 2

There is a way but for that you will need script file. And you will need to place that file in common\Portal 2\bin folder. This is the config file which you can found on some sites to download. The config files have all the settings for game resolution. Some of the players are using a config file to do the same. You just need to overwrite those files over your actual game folder and that's it. The game works without an issue. But most of the time this does not works as there are lots of bug related to this.

Such scripts only works if the monitors are of a similar format. That means either both are wide screen or both are standard. Or else the settings would definitely will not take effect. You can modify similar monitors settings via display properties. You have to go in properties and then go in screen resolution settings. For both of them choose one common settings and then try to run the script. It will surely work. Do not forget to keep a backup of your old config file.

For this there is a need to find first the aspect ratio needed by the game to run it on multiple split screen. You can find that in splitscreen_config.txt which is located in the program file folder of this game. You can see the widths and heights is mentioned in the form of x and y. This is just an sample. You can also see a value which denotes widescreen_vertical_split. From here you can modify the settings and aspect ratio to the output. There is lot of things you will need to do manually.

That is not just enough, you will have to modify your config.SoftTHconfig file also. Remember if any of those files are not properly placed then the game might crash on your screen and you will need to re-install the same. So be careful before doing the same and always keep a backup of all files that you are modifying. So just by overwriting them over the old file you can restore back your old settings back instead of completely destroying it.

The one thing which matter on the screen is the resolution settings. That means both screen must have a similar kind of resolution or things will not work here.You will need to get a proper widescreen monitor with similar configuration. If both monitors are entirely different then this settings will not work here at all. On steam forums there is an script file posted on a post which you can use as the default file for systems resolutions. I had not yet tested the same but you can give a try.