Thread: Portal 2 error Failed to Create D3D Device while trying to start game

Portal 2 error Failed to Create D3D Device while trying to start game

Hello friends, I am facing one error in playing the Portal 2. I am being very curious to solve this problem as I am fan Portal 2. I have never faced such error in any other game. I think my game is getting failed to crate D3D device. I am using ATI X800 graphic cards to play this game, even I had tried to update bios but still I am facing the same error. I know I will surely solve my problem on this forum, as I have seen many problems getting solved here. Please reply to this post, every single solution is highly appreciated, thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Portal 2 error Failed to Create D3D Device while trying to start game

Hello guys, hey friend I have gone through to your problem, and I must tell you that this is very common with some of the graphic card, including your card. I wanted to tell you is, instead of updating BIOS, just try to update your Windows and make sure that you have all important update and .net framework is installed properly. And as you are failing to create D3D device then try to update driver of your graphic card to latest version. Also check on the official website of ATI drivers. I think the main problem is with the graphic card, just do above things; hopefully it will solve your problem.

Yes the above post is right; ATI doesn’t work proper with many games. After updating of your graphic drivers, just check whether your problem is getting solved or not, if still your problem remains the same, then after update follow the below steps:
    • Go to steam folder of Portal 2 and go to portal library
    • Just do right click on the game
    • Then click on properties then general and then go to set launch option
    • Type there “dxlevel 80”
    • Click on ok and then reboot Pc and run the game

This above step will solve your problem. All the best!

Hello friends, so again the good solutions here! As I am the game freak, I always prefer to be on top with the configuration and especially with graphic options. I wanted you all to do something for better game play and also to solve this error.
    • Update graphic card as well as video drivers
    • Update DirectX with latest version
    • Update windows whichever you are using
    • Check for update of game including launch option
    • Uninstall and reinstall the game

As per my experience, use these steps before the steps which are mentioned in above post, using this way you will solve your problem.

Hey thanks man, and also thanks a lot to you all who have posted their precious solutions here on this forum. I have tried to update almost all the things mentioned in above post. As it was not working for me then I tried with launch option properties, there I found that the name which is to be written is wrong the actual name should be like this ”w 1366” or “-h 768”. After doing this step again my problem was not solving, so that’s the reason I changed my video card to Nvidia Gforce series. After that I got through to my problem. Thanks a lot to every single person on this forum.