Thread: How to create maps on Portal 2?

How to create maps on Portal 2?

Hello guys I am big fan of Portal 2 game on PC, I am playing this game from last week. Initially I faced some problem related with the graphics but after reading the topics regarding screen glitches on this site problem got solved. But I want help in mapping, I am addicted to these game and I want create maps. So guys can you help me out in creating the maps in the portal 2 if it is possible ? because I don’t have any idea bout this.

Re: How to create maps on Portal 2?

Well buddy good news is mapping is possible in Portal 2, after few days of release of Portal 2 people started mapping for it, Well there are few things which you need for the mapping well first is system with Windows OS I have windows 7 and that should support DirectX 9.0 or higher version of it. And the Alien Swarm and it’s SDK don’t worry that’s free. And if you have knowledge of Hammer then you will be able to create the Maps for Portal 2.

Yeah dude he’s right you need Alien Swarm and its SDK and before starting the mapping you should set the SDK in the Alien Swarm tools. You will find the “Gameconfig.txt” file in this path “C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm\bin” you have to paste the following code after the second bracket under the Alien Swarm,
    Code:
    "Portal 2 - Unofficial"
          {
             "GameDir"      "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\portal2"
             "Hammer"
             {
                "GameData0"      "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm\bin\portal2.fgd"
                "TextureFormat"      "5"
                "MapFormat"      "4"
                "DefaultTextureScale"      "0.250000"
                "DefaultLightmapScale"      "16"
                "GameExe"      "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\portal2.exe"
                "DefaultSolidEntity"      "func_detail"
                "DefaultPointEntity"      "info_player_start"
                "BSP"      "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm\bin\vbsp.exe"
                "Vis"      "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm\bin\vvis.exe"
                "Light"      "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm\bin\vrad.exe"
                "GameExeDir"      "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\portal 2"
                "MapDir"      "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk_content\portal2"
                "BSPDir"      "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\portal2\maps"
                "PrefabDir"      "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\username\sourcesdk_content\portal2\Prefabs"
                "CordonTexture"      "tools/toolsskybox"
                "MaterialExcludeCount"      "0"
             }
          }

Well that is right procedure but yet it’s not complete after performing the above instructions you have to import some stuffs from “C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm\platform” and now copy the folder “editor” from the materials, models and paste it into Postal 2 Material/model. And you also have to port the Halflife2.fgd to the alien swarm bin, because this gives the weapons class. Now open the tools and the Portal 2 should be there in the drop box, check it.

Hey guys thanks a lot for reverting so quickly and you guys have given me the exact solution. I am really addicted to this game and I wanted this code very quickly so I posted here and on the other gaming forums sites but nobody reverted there, I am really disappointed with those sites because forums on those sites are related to games and yet they are no active users. But here I got the solution in few minutes only thank you guys, now I can create maps.