Thread: Bioshock not working on Windows Vista 32 bit with Creative Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI sound card

Bioshock not working on Windows Vista 32 bit with Creative Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI sound card

I am trying to run Bioshock for the Windows Vista 32-bit PC and I cannot get the game to work with the Creative Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI sound card. I know they have ALchemy which I Have installed but it still does not solve the problem. Bioshock crashes when it installs the .ddl files from ALchemy for support with EAX and Direct3D sound too. And if I don't use ALchemy and then go into the gam's audio options, the game crashes to. What can i do?

Re: Bioshock not working on Windows Vista 32 bit with Creative Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI sound card

I know Bioshock isn’t an OpenAL game that would have no need for ALchemy? But then why did Creative include the ALchemy in the first place for Vista as an update? I am saying that is there any reported issues with Bioshock with Creative X-Fi cards that has already been addressed? I know Creative put in an update for Bioshock when I installed the X-Fi card yesterday. BUT that was BEFORE I installed Bioshock TODAY. Why is Bioshock crashing when it never did before with my onboard audio? Does Bioshock support EAX with this card without problems? If so, then why am I not able to play the game without crashing when I go into the audio options and why is it that my monitor supported 1920 x 1200 before and then when I installed this card on a fresh install of Vista and THEN after installed Bioshock is the video not expanding completely to the entire screen edge to edge?

Re: Bioshock not working on Windows Vista 32 bit with Creative Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI sound card

ALchemy exists for DirectSound3D based games. Bioshock is an OpenAL game so it doesn't need (or use) ALchemy, so don't put the ALchemy files in the games folder. There are many other games that use DirectSound3D instead of OpenAL. When does the game crash, do you get any errors? It could be related to something else. Did you disable your onboard audio (rather than having two audio devices at the same time)? Have you updated your graphics drivers? Did you get the latest patch for Bioshock? You could try the updated OpenAL installer too.

Now he tells me! After I just spent 69.99 and express shipping for this card someone tells me it does not have hardware acceleration which defeats the purpose of the sound card completely. Tell me why you made this card without hardware acceleration if it makes my music sound BETTER than it did without it and the movies to? Why is it that it is not made for audio and not made with hardware acceleration? I just wasted my money and will be returning this card. Why don't you put that in your description of your products? What card do YOU recommend that will work with Vista 32-bit and also work flawlessly with ALL games including Bioshock?

I must have missed that part in the original post somehow. Sorry about that, I thought you had a different model. erniemink, for gaming I would recommend the X-Fi XtremeGamer card, X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro series or X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series (the latter comes with a drivebay). The product page for the Xtreme Audio card would look quite different to the other cards; it's not aimed at games and more at improving your audio quality, music, etc. Check with your store, they might be willing to help out if you want to swap over to an XtremeGamer card.