Thread: How to reduce wifi gaming lags

How to reduce wifi gaming lags

I was recently having a issue with online gaming. I had setup a wifi router at my place and I was playing COD. I found major game lags after a regular interval of few seconds. The router is working fine by internet connection but getting lagged while playing. I do not get the problem behind the same and still I am getting the problem. I did all things well the setup and the game installation but nothing worked out till yet. I have some of my friends who are going to join the game via laptop. They too face the lagging issue. Does this is due to the wifi setup. What can I do here to reduce the lag time.

Re: How to reduce wifi gaming lags

First for your wifi router it is recommended that you must download the most recent firmware for your router. This resolves a large problem of file transfers, and also improves the performance of wifi. Get the most recent driver update for the same. WEP is one thing that you must check properly and see whether things are fine not. Sometime due to WEP the incoming connections are blocked by the other users. Mostly due to firmware updates the latency issue is fixed to an extent and this is a major issue with gaming over wifi.

The first problem with this lies with the lose of packets online. This depends on what game you are playing and how the games are configured. Sometime due to loss of data packets the game lags in between and then the same is retransmitted. You have to see that the users that are playing are not too far from the router. You must also disable all network security policies for sometime. Run important updates for your router and then check back. Try to create a much user friendly network which can help you to enjoy the game.

There are some router which come dedicated for gaming. But for that it is necessary to choose the most appropriate model. There are something like ports configuration, ip address settings, which need much more importance. Well most of the settings are configured by the router itself automatically. Add the game under exception list of firewall or whatever security application you are using. If possible then re-install the router back again once and check all the settings.

Disable all the background services and then check back. I was playing WoW on a wifi network and facing latency issue. Then I started Guild Wars which work smooth. This can also depend on the game you are playing. The graphic quality and other things does matter here. Check that other hardware connected to the router is not using your resources. Turn off your file sharing services and then check back again. You have to verify other wireless security options also.

Stop torrent applications if you are using any. It does not relates to your network but it consumes your bandwidth. I always recommend to go with wired connection instead of a wifi. That is much better and easier. This is why because there is much more guarantee for a faster data travel rate and less issue of lagging. I play on a 1mbps line and the game just work smooth. I have to disable my firewall and other services that blocks the packets.