Thread: No Crown Reset after last wipe in Dragon Age Legends on Facebook

No Crown Reset after last wipe in Dragon Age Legends on Facebook

I, like many other players, have put more than a few dollars into crown purchases. I do not mind as I think this is a great game and I like to support it. However, I am not so sure I agree with 'no more crown resets' while we are still in open beta. Does this make sense to anyone else? I mean, we have a start over button in BETA. Because of this I have been spending the crowns after each reset loosely in the interests of exploring the castle building, trying different types of items, etc all in the interest of what a BETA is for testing. But after reading that there will be no crown reset upon the official release, I find myself feeling a bit jaded. I think this is a pretty poor move and honestly, I think it is a bit dishonest. People have certain understandings about what a BETA means and you’re allowing us to spend money that is NOT refundable and perhaps at risk due to the BETA environment (essentially), seems wrong to me. Personally, I think that correct action to take is for crowns to reset at the official open. To balance it, and also validate the 'head start', I think it makes sense to reset castles and any premium gear on the hero; let them keep the level they attained. That is certainly a head start. I just think that imposing restrictions as they have on crown usage during a BETA is a terrible idea.

Re: No Crown Reset after last wipe in Dragon Age Legends on Facebook

I won't say you are wrong, but I stopped thinking of it as a 'beta' as soon as the words 'head start' came out. We're playing the live game now, whether they're calling it a beta or not. I do think you're correct that, if they did happen to reset them, it would have to mean removing and refunding crown purchases on castles as well as items. I don't think that you could fully reset castles, however, unless there was some way to calculate expenditure of regular game gold versus purchased game gold. I know that while I spent crowns on my hero's room and three castle rooms, I never spent any on gold. So if my castle was reset, I would need the gold that I spent on it in order to rebuild it, gold which came from quests and encounters that I can't redo now.

It's not live, a lot of company’s do a head start but they don’t tend to restart the characters at this point. I think whatever you spend real money on should be trickily and fully refundable in the form of the currency used: crowns. Badpathing is entirely correct, they shouldn’t be simply punishing you for supporting them, just so you’re forced to spend money that’s very bad marketing and it’s very immature from a designer stand point. For example you wipe your hard drive on Xbox live, you lose game content yes, but your DLC items are still administered to your account, and Microsoft still has a record of the arcade games purchased. I am in no way trying to be a lynch mob but stepping on people’s feet is not the way to try to get them to invest in you.

Here I just want to add something n this as I play this game and bit like it. I just seem backwards to me to not reset all content during a BETA to live release. A head start is not beta testing. A head start is content released so select individuals before the general public. Calling open BETA testing a head start is rather lazy and misleading ESP given the pattern crowns have followed in prior testing. I honestly feel a bit ripped off.

I have beta tested MMOs before I could drive so I have been around the block or two when it comes to these things. I am sure everyone here understands what a beta phase is and most likely has been in one or two. I have always associated head-starts in any game I play as the alpha phase with the perk given for pre-ordering or being a prior tester. I am very surprised that they allowed paid purchases in a beta since it represents an unfinished release in its testing cycle.

This is my first Facebook game, but what a little google research revealed several weeks back, when I initially received my beta code, is that Facebook games seem to stay in perpetual beta; unlike standard MMOs (I have beta tested a bunch of that myself). As the head starts go, this is (was) a head start like letting people Trion Rift in a few days before liberation. As you can pay for purchases, people have been going crowns all the time, knowing wipes come. I couldn't tell you why. It's their money, so it's not really my business. My thought was that crowns should be provided to testers in order to balance gear. So I didn't purchase any myself until last Tuesday. Because basically this is the live version of the game and I wanted to show some support to the development. Just my opinion, of course. Folks are welcome to disagree. Not that they need my permission.

Well, the purchased crowns were refunded after each wipe, so, it was a 'safe' purchase since you knew that you could use those crowns come live release. It was nice since between wipes you could experiment with castle building, gear, etc. And this, really, is the gist of my point. It has caught some people, like me, unawares who continued to use the crowns as if still in BETA (which ironically, we are) however, this last stage will NOT give us the same refund we are used to during the testing phase. I know the information is there. I found it. But it was not really direct and for that very reason, I find myself a bit jaded towards the dev team as, I have stated, I spent in 'testing' mode since last wipe as I have after every wipe.

That is the point I am making. After each wipe, crowns were restored allowing players to reuse them for testing and experimentation. It was a 'safe' expense on the player’s part as he/she was assured that the crowns would be refunded after each wipe. This meaning, of course, that a player could safely spend them to test knowing that come live-release, the full balance would be there for actual play. My problem is that the information was not very direct. Obviously it is out there, but I found it AFTER the fact. The fact being that I spent my crowns, as I have after every reset, in a 'testing' manner; that is to say, not min/mixing but rather experimenting as one does in a BETA. But those crowns are now lost and I am quite unhappy with that fact as I used them in a testing manner, not a game play manner as I have been preparing for here in the BETA.

Yeah, I ended up buying some smelling salts, effectively wasting my crowns. When I realized that they had been lost forever, I was a little pissed. But then I realized that I only had 60 crowns to begin with, which wasn't sufficient to upgrade anything or purchase any items besides potions. And seeing as I will never spend money on a Facebook game, all is well. Besides, I'm just at the part where I am encountering "human" enemies instead of the same Darkspawn over and over and over again. Unless there is some sort of boss fight, I am pretty much done with Legends once I get all of the DA2 unlocks. This is probably the best Facebook game I have encountered, and there is a lot to love. But after I get the last unlocks, I have come to the realization that there is nothing to bring me back.